Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 Upgrade Info

jacksback28

I was just wondering how much has changed in the software?  I'm currently on S2 and have been hesitant to upgrade to S3 or S4 - is the programming easier or harder with the newer versions?

Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, basis21b said:

Try this.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

Click on the Web Help column for a particular release.  Once there click on "What's New?" that is displayed in the left panel.  It will show you a number of links for each release and what has changed. 

That's basically a page of release notes.  I was hoping for something more along the lines of what new features were introduced without having to sift through a ton of bug fix detail.  

1 hour ago, jtomason said:

That's basically a page of release notes.  I was hoping for something more along the lines of what new features were introduced without having to sift through a ton of bug fix detail.  

That's what you get. new features are listed there too.

I (ran) 2.9.4 for years and attended a Christmas Expo 2 day class on S4 to learn better sequencing and get up to speed on S4.  I can say S4 is worth the move.   I didn't upgrade right away as I seemed to not find the time earlier in the year to sit down and do it. 

My logic board on the show computer blew up on 11/30 after 10 years of shows but I was able to salvage my files thanks to backups.  I'm sitting here installing Windows on the replacement box and it will run S4 4.3.x .  I will note any issues that come up here but what I learned from the 2 day classes show S4 being good stuff.

YMMV

OK, let me rephrase:

For those of you who upgraded from S3 to S4, what made you do it, and what are the best new things about S4?

OK, let me rephrase:

For those of you who upgraded from S3 to S4, what made you do it, and what are the best new things about S4?

8,000 channels was too much for S3 to run on my computer, was getting too much lag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jtomason said:

A lot of improvements to SuperStar (which is what I use for all my sequencing), and intensity files.  The ability to output in intensity files is allowing me to continue running my old and slow show computer for a couple more years.