Light-O-Rama Forums

My ENTIRE Christmas Display For Sale CHEAP

gmac

gmac, don't quit so easily. There is still a lot of good that comes from what you do. You can beat this. I know there are great outdoor security cameras with NVR that you can use POE. Easy set up, just run a Cat 6 from NVR to each camera(at least two real ones) and one data connection to the NVR. These days you can access the NVR from a computer or phone as well. Post a bunch of "Smile, You're On Camera" signs. File a police report. I am willing to bet the police can quietly drive by your house while on their routes to show a little police presence(regardless of if you file a report or not, just call them or visit). Finally, you could even call the local news to do a story on it. Someone did that in my state(local news coverage - destruction of property to their display) a couple of years ago and the support and outreach they got was huge. Don't give up. Don't give in to the darkness! You have given and shared with so many people good memories, traditions and happiness. Once all of these good people find out what has been happening, you will have created a lot of support for your show and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone started their own little "neighborhood watch" for you. Driving by and paying attention, even when the show isn't running. I know it's a lot of work, but you have done 100 times more work with your display! 

I wish you the best, Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

Dang, the cost of video surv. systems are down. You can get a decent 8 camera system for the cost of 2 controllers.

Plus add driveway alarms to reach across your property.

I agree with most here, retire on your terms don't let asshats win!

On November 28, 2016 at 5:21 PM, EmmienLightFan said:

A mix of real ones, dummy ones and loads of signs is the best deterrent.

At the cost of a "entirely real" security camera system it doesn't pay to have a fake camera. I can show you live footage of dummies that think they are playing with a fake camera, and I'm talking about idiots with guns. At the cost of a few fake cameras you can buy an affordable Scurity camera system.

I have 36 all real and many long range 300' + IR in total darkness.

Night Owl is one of the better low cost systems, my friend installs them for people at 8 cameras and dvr for about $500 that's 1.5 controllers in the LOR world.

Booby traps or snake pits would be nice!

Best of luck to the op, and your problem. Hold on to your lights, think of the smiles.

JR

On November 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM, pikadroo said:

To everyone that thinks you can fight crazy neighbors and win with security and being caught. You can't possibly know what it's like or have ever had this kind pf problem. It's been my experience you can't... you can catch them red handed having all your ducks in a row, call the police, and stand out in rain and snow making your case with law enforcement only to have the crazies get away with whatever the crime is. The police always have a reason, police love to say that it's a civil matter, and crazy can be really good at convincing the police they are the victim. Make no sense, right? Flys in the face of any sort of logic, right? NO THEY ARE CRAZY, YOU CAN"T FIGHT CRAZY!

In my mind he is doing the right thing. Nobody likes to loose, but it's not a loss. IT'S CRAZY!

Drew

The difference is when they are caught on camera it takes the "their word against your word" out of the equation. Big dif between a civil and legal dispute when it comes to theft, vandalism and burning yourself on hot coffee. That's why we have laws.

Right on Jr. I have motion activated security lights and cameras  that cover my yard area and out into the edge of the street. 

I also have 2 lighted signs saying smile your on camera.

My immediate neighbors do not mind as they have the added security of my cameras covering the front of their yard also when they are activated.  as far as the people who come from down the street or drive by... they see the security lights come on and see the signs at the same time telling them they are being filmed has actually had the impact of causing the possible trouble maker cross the street and avoid my side as soon as they have found out they activate lights and cameras. 

And yes... I Live in S. Cali and there are gangs in my neighborhood as most neighbor hoods here.. I have had nothing happen to my display and I have even had many of the (known) because of their tattoos etc. Gang members tell me they actually like my display... But I also play a mixture type of music... such as a couple Christmas RAP type songs, some country some rock etc. I do not just try to play one type of traditional songs so I try to keep everyone interested in a variety of things.

One of the first things I did when I moved into this area was to ask some of the younger people I saw walking/skateboarding by if they had a favorite Christmas song etc. and From what they said tried to add that to my show even if just in a small way.

hense my show has Rap, Soul, Country, Classical, Traditional, Big Band, and even Rock Christmas songs in it. 

The sound is also low enough on my outside speakers to just barely be heard to the center of the street. I do have signs saying to tune to channel for more sound/music.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Right on Jr. I have motion activated security lights and cameras  that cover my yard area and out into the edge of the street. 

I also have 2 lighted signs saying smile your on camera.

My immediate neighbors do not mind as they have the added security of my cameras covering the front of their yard also when they are activated.  as far as the people who come from down the street or drive by... they see the security lights come on and see the signs at the same time telling them they are being filmed has actually had the impact of causing the possible trouble maker cross the street and avoid my side as soon as they have found out they activate lights and cameras. 

And yes... I Live in S. Cali and there are gangs in my neighborhood as most neighbor hoods here.. I have had nothing happen to my display and I have even had many of the (known) because of their tattoos etc. Gang members tell me they actually like my display... But I also play a mixture type of music... such as a couple Christmas RAP type songs, some country some rock etc. I do not just try to play one type of traditional songs so I try to keep everyone interested in a variety of things.

One of the first things I did when I moved into this area was to ask some of the younger people I saw walking/skateboarding by if they had a favorite Christmas song etc. and From what they said tried to add that to my show even if just in a small way.

hense my show has Rap, Soul, Country, Classical, Traditional, Big Band, and even Rock Christmas songs in it. 

The sound is also low enough on my outside speakers to just barely be heard to the center of the street. I do have signs saying to tune to channel for more sound/music.

Thanks to you my display is diverse as well. Later on i will be sending you an edited sequence you may like.

I can't thank you enough.

Wishing I could convince my wife to move to SAN Diego area but her job/ career is sweet so no dice. 

When you drive by my house after dark you can see the glows from my IR cameras. Looks like 8 automobile cigarette lighters.

Though I don't have lighted camera signs it is no secret you are being recorded both audio and video at my front yard area. 

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Wishing I could convince my wife to move to SAN Diego area but her job/ career is sweet so no dice.  

San Diego really sucks so don't move here.  You know lots of traffic, people, GANGS and homeless people on every street corner and trashy beaches.  Plus we're losing our NFL team (not that I care) and the Mexican food here is terrible.....LOL! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

San Diego really sucks so don't move here.  You know lots of traffic, people, GANGS and homeless people on every street corner and trashy beaches.  Plus we're losing our NFL team (not that I care) and the Mexican food here is terrible.....LOL! :rolleyes:

Well look at my "Location", need I say anymore? LOL At least ya'll have a reason for the violence. I absolutely loved San Diego while stationed there in the 80's.

1 hour ago, pikadroo said:

Nope, the police will say the suspect says that isn't them on the camera. Police will agree, crazy is off the hook.

Drew

Well at least not here, but then you have to be prepared for retaliation. After all they do know where you live. Sucks that we even have these types of discussions during festive holidays. 

• 2 weeks later...

Look at a couple of other things you could do to safe guard your habit. (A If your home look into some type of driveway alert system. One in particular is made by a company called

Optex USA wireless 2000. This is a wireless motion detector (works very well, however it will pickup wild life) that when triggers will ring inside of the home to alert you someone may

have cross the line for around 150.00. (B Another item is called Ring.com this has been advertised on TV a lot for the last 2 years. It is a wireless two-way audio one-way video intercom

that is motion activated or push the button. When sensing motion in the area you you don't want someone it will pop up on your phone whether home or away you can talk to them along

with see them. You can also capture the video for police to review and hopefully make an arrest. Ba---rds need to remember things don't come cheap and what goes around comes around

and maybe they will get there's when they purchase a home and try to have nice things.    Anyway that's my dollar 375

Just now, manitoutheos said:

Look at a couple of other things you could do to safe guard your habit. (A If your home look into some type of driveway alert system. One in particular is made by a company called

Optex USA wireless 2000. This is a wireless motion detector (works very well, however it will pickup wild life) that when triggers will ring inside of the home to alert you someone may

have cross the line for around 150.00. (B Another item is called Ring.com this has been advertised on TV a lot for the last 2 years. It is a wireless two-way audio one-way video intercom

that is motion activated or push the button. When sensing motion in the area you you don't want someone it will pop up on your phone whether home or away you can talk to them along

with see them. You can also capture the video for police to review and hopefully make an arrest. Ba---rds need to remember things don't come cheap and what goes around comes around

and maybe they will get there's when they purchase a home and try to have nice things.    Anyway that's my dollar 375

My driveway alert system  I can adjust it so that it will not pick up small animals however I do not mind picking up everything. You get used to the speed of the alerts or length of alert and my camera system will also pick up on whatever, I have plenty of time to respond. Mine actually go all the way across my yard.

I will be installing those new LED dimming motion sensor lights. They work similar to what the grocery stores are using in the refrigerated/ frozen food section. As you get close they come on and the get brighter the closer the suspect gets. This will also help my color night vision cameras switch faster.

I'm Sorry you're neighbors weren't feeling the spirit. However, i am interested in some of your gen3 controllers. I am also willing to buy some of your strobes. my email is bilgerlights@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

That's the spirit, put a tribute to LEO's on it, get some good attention and support from your community leaders.

If the neighbors don't like it they don't have to listen to it, they can shut their curtains (nosy neighbors) or they can move. An affordable cctv security system )doesn't have to be the best in the world) and prey that it is not a neighbor creating the destruction/ thievery. If it is a video is worth 1000 words. Depending on the destruction cost you can show the culprit (if a neighbor) the video and attempt to resolve it without LEO assistance or just take it to the police. Either way everyone will know they will be caught on camera and it should curtail the problems.

For those that put signs in their yard saying "your lights suck" put subliminal messages in your megatree or matrix saying "yours suck worse". Or make it a competition, start some type of local show wars and have the community vote.  

Best of luck

JR

Thanks for your uplifting comments ..........I also do plan to get a camera for security and maybe a good attorney if needed (LOL) 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gmac said:

Thanks for your uplifting comments ..........I also do plan to get a camera for security and maybe a good attorney if needed (LOL) 

BTW- there are studies out that show Christmas lights are good for community spirit, confort and can help property values increase within communities. I was reading an article someplace a couple days ago, nit sure which article. But in a quick search I found this article, spread this to your neighbors or community leaders. It's not all about religion.

https://historymatters.appstate.edu/sites/historymatters.appstate.edu/files/christmaslights.pdf

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Why is this not a 'Hate Crime'.?

Just because your religion is "Let There Be Light", is no reason to ignore this kind of hate.