Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL Update to Hardware?

dgrant

Is LOR planning or working on a way to make ELL's faster AND more secure from outside interference? I own 6 of them which worked real nice the first year I tried them but since, someone or something gets through them, inducing noise on the RS485 buss... resulting in strange light effects, frozen and even non-functional displays. Yep, changed channels, frequencies, power levels, all to no avail. Is LOR also thinking about modifying them to allow for higher speeds? We really need them for large displays and multiple homes

how many channels are you running? are you running any rgb channels too?  I have 16 houses- and a 12 CCR tree- the tree is on 2 separate networks.  Each side of the street is a separate networks too ( 8 houses)- my EEL's run like a dream but I dont have a ton of channels running thru them....(see the Santa Claus lane Drone vid in My display)

166 AC channels, 1 CCR and 18 DC channels. Its not the ELL's, rather interference from some unknown source that's causing the issues. 

11 hours ago, dgrant said:

Is LOR planning or working on a way to make ELL's faster AND more secure from outside interference?

Unfortunately, those two are largely mutually exclusive.  There are ways to make a transmission quite immune to outside interference, but they generally take quit a bit of overhead so they result in reduced throughput.

I'm looking at possibly adding multiple houses next year; what other alternatives are there other than ELL's?

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Unfortunately, those two are largely mutually exclusive.  There are ways to make a transmission quite immune to outside interference, but they generally take quit a bit of overhead so they result in reduced throughput.

Across the street or on your side?  If you don't have to cross the street, can you just use a longer Cat-5 cable?  If you need to use a wireless connection, there are a few other options.  If you are using (or can use) E1.31, then you can use WiFi, or better yet, a short range microwave path (that's easier than it sounds).  For LOR channels, you do have the option of using E1.31 and having the E1.31 controller output one or more DMX universes and control the LOR controllers with DMX.

one house is next door, next is 2 doors down, 3rd is directly across the street plus mine

next door one is easy, but for the other 2, might need some wireless broadcast ;

just starting to look into this, after neighbors approached me and asked if it was possible; might be fun

I did a dumb thing two years ago that gave me symptoms like you describe - strange effects, freezing, just weirdness.  I had put ELL's inside many of my controllers so I did not have to cable them together - ones that were far enough apart not to run short cat5 connections.  Redid my layout a bit that year, then ran a cable between two with ELL's on same channel setup both still having ELL's inside.  Having two transmitters sending out signals (one acting as a same channel repeater) is not a good thing....

In this case, only the LOR RS485 buss for ELL's although not high mounted but not low either. Not quite line of sight either but close. No, didn't try any strange configurations either. First year, they worked beautifully but the next year, nothing but trouble. Yep, changed channels and so on plus insured each was updated to the current firmware and so on. I'm thinking that LOR might need to alter the overall transmit/receive frequencies with the FCC approvals of course or use a side-band if possible, anything that would be less susceptible to interference from other 900mhz sources. Like last year, I'm cabled direct therefore no ELL's in-use. BTW, I have done the DMX via TCPIP using a bridge and router which works very nice for intelligent controllers but that isn't the issue here.