• Announcements

    • LORAdmin

      S5 Beta Comments   07/16/2017

      Please keep all comments about S5 in the Open Beta General Comments section. This will help the developers by only have to look in one area of the forums for comments/questions/concerns about S5.
DisneyMatt10

New to DMX, and moving heads! Help please!!

12 posts in this topic

Hey all!

First off, I apologize if this has been discussed yet, (which I am sure it has been.)

However, now that this season is well under way, I have started planning my next few seasons. I am looking at adding some DMX (I think) moving heads to my light show similar to those seen in this video. The only problem I am running into is that I know NOTHING about these things. I don't know how to program them, how to control them, how to power them, what software, or controllers are needed. . . Seriously, I know NOTHING about them. If anyone has dealt with these any advice you can provide me with is greatly appreciated. I'm needing to know things like:

What controller to use?

How to power these heads?

How to program them?

Like I said, any information that anyone can provide me with in regards to these moving heads is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, 

~Matt

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Matt,

Firstly, the moving head lights he uses in the video are a bit costly, if you can afford them, then yay for you. I don't remember the exact cost. More watts in the lamps is better. Most you see are for indoor, club settings with fog, etc...

Sequencing these type of lights can be tedious at best, but very do-able. Good thing this is being planned for future shows, you have reading to do. Here's a couple of threads that I found, there are more for sure. These should get you started...

Alan...

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to revive a dead thread!!!

I think it was December of last year I went out on a limb and messaged Tom on Facebook asking about his DMX heads, not expecting to ever hear from him. Well, randomly last night I FINALLY heard back from him!! I'm super excited for this. He has been BEYOND helpful, and I'm super excited to get this ball rolling. I've learned what type of DMX heads I am going to need to buy, as well as the protective covers for them. (Sadly the covers are more than the lights!) I had been planning on adding them to the show in 2018 possibly. However, given the cost of the addition to the show, it will be a 2019 addition instead of a 2018 addition. The positive note to the extra year is that it gives me more time to figure them out.

The current plan is to buy a smaller less expensive DMX head to "play" with. Basically to help me figure out how to program them, and control them. Once I get it all figured out I will buy the actual show heads.

I will also do my best to keep this thread going as I progress through this DMX head journey so if anyone is looking to do the same, hopefully this will be a place they can come for help!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about some prices and maybe a link or two?  I'm not planning on doing it as it's a little over the top for me, but just more curious as to what a setup like this would cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt

I was wondering about how these were being safely used outdoors (weather resistant). Your 'cover' comment answered that.

TNX

BTW MCM electronics lists some MH units. They are not cheap.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

How about some prices and maybe a link or two?  I'm not planning on doing it as it's a little over the top for me, but just more curious as to what a setup like this would cost.

Our setup will end up costing us about $50k between lights, controllers, covers, and wiring.

Edited by DisneyMatt10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Our setup will end up costing us about $50k between lights, controllers, covers, and wiring.

Holy Cow that's a serious investment!  Maybe you can get on GCLF and possibly win to recoup that serious coinage.  Good luck with this and looking forward to more info from this thread.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2016 at 1:19 PM, DisneyMatt10 said:

Hey all!

First off, I apologize if this has been discussed yet, (which I am sure it has been.)

However, now that this season is well under way, I have started planning my next few seasons. I am looking at adding some DMX (I think) moving heads to my light show similar to those seen in this video. The only problem I am running into is that I know NOTHING about these things. I don't know how to program them, how to control them, how to power them, what software, or controllers are needed. . . Seriously, I know NOTHING about them. If anyone has dealt with these any advice you can provide me with is greatly appreciated. I'm needing to know things like:

What controller to use?

How to power these heads?

How to program them?

Like I said, any information that anyone can provide me with in regards to these moving heads is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, 

~Matt

 

 

 

 

you may need to consider local aviation rules as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jim said:

you may need to consider local aviation rules as well

Already tackled that one! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A small update for you all!!

Looks like we are able to get the cost for this addition to the show down to about $20k Which is nice to know!! And that's including the professional to install the mounts to the roof, as well as the covers for them!! Sadly the covers are more than the lights themselves. 

I'll be buying the controller, and first light towards the end of this month so I can start testing and figuring out how they work, and how to program them!! So be looking for another update around then!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing future posts on this Matt. :) 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you tackle any issues with the local aviation or FAA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now