Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon16 Is Lost: Without and Identity

lee66047

I have tried everything in the manual including resetting the board, I have used three computers and I can not get a one of them to see the Pixcon controller. When I turn the board on I just get a red light.  I have reset, rebooted, both lights flashing, together and separate. Factory reset, too. Can't check firmware because the network can not see the board.  I tried Pinging it from the command prompt. Nothing. Its show time and I can't get the controller to get out of the dressing room....any ideas?

• Like 1

How old is the pixcon?  If it was one shipped out this summer by LOR  it will most likely say G2 on the board. If it does then I don't believe you can use it as an E1.31 board, but rather you need to use the beta version of the LOR software and program it through the LOR hardware utility. 

7 hours ago, alaskastudio said:

How old is the pixcon?  If it was one shipped out this summer by LOR  it will most likely say G2 on the board. If it does then I don't believe you can use it as an E1.31 board, but rather you need to use the beta version of the LOR software and program it through the LOR hardware utility. 

Do you happen to have more info as to why it couldn't be used as an E1.31 board.but the 1st gen can? Couldn't  find any info on that. 

To the OP, open a ticket and they will get you up and running. 

The pixcon can be used in LOR on an enhanced network or on an E1.31 network no matter the generation. The new 4.3.16 beta version that was released is for the pixie which is strictly LOR and not E1.31. The pixie and pixcon are two separate controllers.

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The pixcon can be used in LOR on an enhanced network or on an E1.31 network no matter the generation. The new 4.3.16 beta version that was released is for the pixie which is strictly LOR and not E1.31. The pixie and pixcon are two separate controllers.

My mistake. I thought they were the same. 

On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 11:47 AM, lee66047 said:

I have tried everything in the manual including resetting the board, I have used three computers and I can not get a one of them to see the Pixcon controller. When I turn the board on I just get a red light.  I have reset, rebooted, both lights flashing, together and separate. Factory reset, too. Can't check firmware because the network can not see the board.  I tried Pinging it from the command prompt. Nothing. Its show time and I can't get the controller to get out of the dressing room....any ideas?

I have the same issue, why is the red status light on and not the green power light. The only time I can get the green light on is in bootloader and it will blink

I filled out a ticket and LOR responded immediately. I have a detailed checklist, step by step to follow and I am doing that now. From what I am seeing there is an and address conflict between the computer and the board. But I will know more when I follow the procedure. I will let you know. I am very appreciative of the comments and advice posted and really flattered more than anything that people would come to help in this thing we all have to share the joy of Christmas.

Do you mean this checklist?

• 1.  Some pixels have a front and a back. Ensure you know which side data goes IN to.  Pixels from LOR can accept data from either end, are plainly marked, or are pre-wired.
  • 2.  Pixels have a voltage. Ensure you have the proper power supply.  LOR Pixels are 5v.  If your pixel package from LOR included a power supply, you do not need to worry about this step.
  • 3.  Pixels have current draw (amperage). Ensure you are not exceeding the amps per channel/power supply/etc.  Pixels from LOR will draw 3A per 50 pixels at 5V (15 Watts).  If your pixel package from LOR included a power supply, you do not need to worry about this step.
  • 4.  Wire power supply to PixCon16, if not already wired.
  • 5.  Remember – never connect or disconnect anything from PixCon16 with power applied.
  • 6.  Power up board. Follow instructions in DMX and E1.31 for pixel control document if needed.  Open Network Preferences/Find Configure PixCon16/Click on PixCon16 in list, and open the PixCon16 configuration window.  
    Only work with a SINGLE Pixcon16 connected to your network at one time until properly configured -- IP address conflicts can occur if you attempt to configure 2 or more.  
    Do not continue until you are able to reliably talk to the board and configure it.
  • 7.  Ensure board firmware is AT LEAST 1.4.8. Do NOT downgrade if higher. Do not continue until firmware is updated to at least 1.4.8. Instructions are found in the manual.  If you have the LOR Control Panel loaded, UNLOAD IT before attempting to update firmware.  Updating the firmware while the Control Panel/Comm listener are running can cause the board to FAIL.
  • 8.  Properly set up Pixel Type and Pixel Speed in configuration. Ignore all other parameters.
  • 9.  Properly wire 1 pixel string to 4 wire connector. Follow pin-outs in the manual.   Note -- Some pixels do not have/require the clock signal.
  • 10.  Connect pixels to a single port, power up. Pixels may briefly flash. Pixels that stay ON indicate incorrect pixel type or speed selected on #8
  • 11.  Run hardware test from manual using buttons on the PixCon16. If pixels do not work, problem is most likely #8. Go back there. 
    Do not continue until the Hardware Test works properly.
  • 12.  Wire the rest of your pixels to the 4 wire connectors. Connect them to the PixCon16. Run the hardware test again. Ensure all pixels are working correctly. Pixels that are not working indicate a problem with the pixel itself, or an under-rated power supply.
    Do not continue until the Hardware Test works properly for ALL pixels.
  • 13.  On the first tab of PixCon16 configuration, ensure you have the correct option specified for J3/J4. If you will use the board in ELOR mode, turn this option ON. For E1.31 ensure this option is OFF.
  • 14.  On the Second tab set up each port of the PixCon16 properly. You can use simple mode or advanced mode. All options are documented in the help file for the software or in the manual for the PixCon16. Remember, for E1.31 universes must also be set up in Net Prefs (the software will also offer to do it for you), for ELOR, 500K speed and Enhanced Light-O-Rama network (done in step 16). It is best to write down the settings.
  • 15.  Ensure you have the LOR Control Panel loaded (which will load the LOR COMM Listener).  The COMM Listener is ALWAYS required to control pixels.
  • 16.  Properly configure your network preferences.
    • E1.31: Ensure Universe matches universe on the board & Set IP address correctly (multi or unicast- specify).  It is easiest to use multicast.
    • ELOR: Ensure the COM port is set to at least 500K and ELOR mode is turned ON.
  • 17.  E1.31: Do not disconnect anything. 
    • Both LEDs should be SOLID ON. 
      Do not continue until they are.
    • ELOR: Disconnect Network cable, ensure jumpers on PixCon16 for J3/J4 are set to LOR. Connect HS USB adapter to computer, CAT5 from USB adapter to J4 of Pixcon16. 
      Both LEDs should be SOLID ON. 
      Do not continue until they are.
  • 18.  Start Hardware Utility. If asked if the HWU should take control of a port say NO. Open the pixel console. Set Pixel Console params correctly and test pixels with sliders.  
    Do not continue until you can successfully control pixels.
  • 19.  Your board is now ready to use.

That I do...and I read the entire basic manual. We are still not correct yet, but I must be close. First my computer was set to IP address at 10.10.10.50.  From the manual, I changed it to 192,168.0 50 so that the first three numbers matched PixCon16. Power up the controller and I just get a red light. But if I push the boot loader button during power up, bingo the software can see the controller. It automatically goes to update firmware, and no other choices are available. So I updated firmware,. I can see the download then it is complete and the red light comes on indicating it is done. Click done....software can no longer find the board unless it is in the boot loader mode.   I must be close, one button, one jumper, one setting, but I am close...ideas?   By the way if at ever I sound like I might know what I am talking about....I don't. I am an old man with a hobby.   Nothing else.

• The topic was locked