Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR issue

Spencer9986

I am dead in the water.  I can individually set up each box with Unit ID's.  So when it comes time for all 5 boxes individually they set up perfectly and run the test properly.  So when it comes to running full show.  The first two boxes work but the communication between box 2 & 3 there is a constant blink on the Unit 3.  Remember, when I set up Unit and hook it to hardware utility for individual box.

However, the original issue started on box 2 which i switced that box with box 5.  After this switch it started working.  I have a feeling it has something to do with new 2016 model Light o Rama boxes

What I have done: Reset JP3, Updated Firmware on GP3-MP3 director, powered off unit.

Mind that 

UNIT 1: 2014 Model

Unit 2 & 5 : 2015 Models

Unit 3 & 4: 2016 Models

I've got multiple generations of controllers across multiple years that all work together without issues.  I would check your cat5 cables between the controllers.  I've had cases where I've had a bad cable that tested out fine but was still causing issues.  You could also try checking the cat 5 connectors on the controllers to insure there aren't any bent pins. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2016 at 1:19 PM, jfuller8400 said:

I've got multiple generations of controllers across multiple years that all work together without issues.  I would check your cat5 cables between the controllers.  I've had cases where I've had a bad cable that tested out fine but was still causing issues.  You could also try checking the cat 5 connectors on the controllers to insure there aren't any bent pins. 

Funny you mention that. I was able to get it to work by plugging G3-MP3 director to boxes 3 to 4 to 5 to 2 to 1 in that order.  As cousin Eddie would say "I don't know"

Sounds like one of the cat 5 jacks on unit 2 or unit 3 is the issue.  Check to see if they are loose from the PCB or like one other stated, the pins aren't bent or touching in one of the cat 5 connector jacks.   These are the things that can cause the issues in which you describe.

I had two controllers have the connector issue Orville speaks of. I wrapped a ziptie around the cat 5 cable and pulled up on it and now all is well. Will replace the connectors after this years show is over. Believe the key is to use bootless cables and the booted ones are difficult to remove and cause the LOR on-board connectors to bend.

6 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Before zip-ties and duct tape how did the human race even survive?

It didn't.  Archaeology is filled with failed civilizations who never had that stuff.

12 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

Believe the key is to use bootless cables and the booted ones are difficult to remove and cause the LOR on-board connectors to bend.

From what I've heard, the number one cause of LOR connectors bending/breaking/unseating would be clumsy oafs tripping over cat5 cables.  Strain relief is a must.

With a simple pair of diagonal cutters you can quickly and easily turn booted connectors bootless.

• Like 1

You can also get a magnifying glass and a small pic and get behind the pins and bend them back outwards a little. I had the same problem cause by booted  connectors because when the door of the encloser was closed it would put strain on it and bend the cat 5 wire down which bent the pins. Then I cut the boots off and not  a problem.