Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie controller mounting

akant

What is a quick and easy way to temp mount a 16 channel controller? I would rather not mount to the house and was thinking stakes of some sort.

Can these just be laid on the ground flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As zcacman said or depending on what you mean by temp.

For testing I use a landscape timber and just lean it or bungee cord it to whatever.

Even in my garage I use the landscape timber.

For show I have it mounted to my exterior wall.

I would not lie it on the ground unless you are going to be with it or setting up purpose. I def wouldn't just leave it unattended for very long , it may grow legs.

Well temp as in for the season then quick put away after the show. I plan on getting some security cable and locks tie'ing them to something now removable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can mount to anything then. A tree using small weather straps or any cable.

However your best bet are the green engineer stakes, they are cheap and dont forget the driver (normally grey in color,  looks like a pipe with two handles and it is weighted) makes it easy to put it in the ground until the little stabilizer wing is in the ground.

Id use security head, hex head or Allen head bolts to mount it to the stake to at least deter a thief.

Mine are mounted on my home and will come down after the holidays and placed in storage. 

Best of luck

JR

Edited by dibblejr

That's what I call an engineer stake.

Around here it wouldn't last long. That's why mine is on the house and under video camera. 

JR

I have mine laying on a couple of short 4x4s under my deck. Those that have done this a while is it alright to have it laying that way.

35 minutes ago, lstewartff said:

I have mine laying on a couple of short 4x4s under my deck. Those that have done this a while is it alright to have it laying that way.

Though I haven't been in this game long I am far to familiar wirh the watertight enclosures.

They will be fine like that.

JR

Thanks again all for all the comments. I am going the stake route I think for this year in combination for the a security cable of some sort... I wish there was a better place to loop a security cable through. I am just going to use a the bottom mounting hole for now

I appreciate the picture of your mounting / security solutions and would welcome more..

Sent from my iPhone us

I made 2X4 a frame for mine. Screwed them to it. and set them out of site hidden behind bushes etc. I also set them so they are about 2 ft up off the ground to help prevent Critters.... Bugs from finding a warm place to sleep... Shorts things out I found out my first year.. 

The controller I use for my 16 channel Mega tree is set inside the tree frame before I put lights on.. ext cords going to the outside of the tree frame from it so I can easily plug my lights in without moving a lot of other electrical wires and lights to get to it. I Just have it close enough to the side that If need be I can reach in between strings of lights to open it etc... 

I would be agains laying it on the ground or even placing it very near ground level to help discourage bugs from crawling into it. I also coat the wires from the ground level up to it with Tabasco as it helps keep critters from climbing up the wires... They for some reason dont like Tabasco... Also keeps dogs etc, from chewing on the cords.