Light-O-Rama Forums

HolidayCoro RGB Controller setup

David K

Thank you all so much for your help! It's made everything here so much smoother.

One last thing: how do I program an HC controller to behave as controller 1 within my LOR setup? Is it any different than setting up an LOR controller through the "Light-O-Rama Hardware" application or is there a different step?

On 11/25/2016 at 3:37 PM, David K said:

Thank you all so much for your help! It's made everything here so much smoother.

One last thing: how do I program an HC controller to behave as controller 1 within my LOR setup? Is it any different than setting up an LOR controller through the "Light-O-Rama Hardware" application or is there a different step?

Easy answer, no. 

For the RGB controller you're setting the initial RGB channel (so 1 in your case).  If you had a second RGB controller, you would set the address as 28 (27 previous channels are used with the first controller).

You can use this site to figure out future settings.  http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=88

This initial address is set via the dip switches on the RGB board itself.  It is completely independent of your LOR controller ids.  For your first RGB board, just flip the first dip switch on and all the others off.

If you got the Actidongle from HC, its best to think of your RGB network completely apart from your LOR network.  You can have an LOR controller with an id of '1' and also have an RGB controller with a starting channel of '1'.   

Edited by jrock_at_rons

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 6:54 PM, k6ccc said:

The reason that some USB adapters handle DMX better is because so called "smart" DMX adapters have some intelligence and free up the computer CPU from all the level processing that is required with DMX.  "Dumb" DMX adapters are just a level converter and require the computer to do all the level processing.

Which smart DMX adapter would you recommend that would use CAT5?   I bought one of the pre-assembled HC units that supports Ethernet and need an adapter for it. 

1 minute ago, jtomason said:

Which smart DMX adapter would you recommend that would use CAT5?   I bought one of the pre-assembled HC units that supports Ethernet and need an adapter for it. 

Sorry, I can't answer that because I don't use any DMX over RS-485 - only as E1.31 (DMX over ethernet).  What I know about DMX is what I read here on the forum (and only what I remembered).  There are some other people here who make extensive use of DMX and should be able to answer.

I bought the Holiday Coro AlphaPix controller and I noticed that it has a 3 terminal DMX output.  Can I just daisy chain my 27 channel HC controller off of that?  How about their DMX512 Signal Decoder (that came with the smart pixel candy cane kit)?

It would be very handy to just run ethernet out to the AlphaPix and then 3 wires to each of the other controllers. 

6 minutes ago, jtomason said:

I bought the Holiday Coro AlphaPix controller and I noticed that it has a 3 terminal DMX output.  Can I just daisy chain my 27 channel HC controller off of that?  How about their DMX512 Signal Decoder (that came with the smart pixel candy cane kit)?

It would be very handy to just run ethernet out to the AlphaPix and then 3 wires to each of the other controllers.

Yes, you can, but you'll need someone who speaks AlphaPix to help with the config to do that.

Yes.. It's very easy to do.. I have about 8 DMX controllers  that I do this for.  Through the Alphapix online GUI you'll need to assign whatever DMX port your going to use  a Universe #.  For the three wire inputs you'll only use two of them.  You need to cut the end off a Cat5 cable.  You'll only use the SOLID and STRIPED ORANGE pair.  Cut back the other ones.  If you are facing the controller from left -  right the first one you won't use.  The second is for the SOLID and the third is for the STRIPED.  The other end of the Cat5 you'd just plug into the DMX controller input then daisy chain that out to the next one and so on.  The first controller would be set to start at channel (1) then next controller (28) and then next (55)  etc... 

Edited by BMurray