Light-O-Rama Forums

Help - Hit a wall with Pixie 12 tree setup

ukoberon

Ok - have purchased and and set up Pixie16D hardware and have built the 12 ribbon layout - everything is connected and i can use the hardware console to test the units and ribbons no problem  - so this seems all in order so far.

This being my first year I have purchased several CCR pre built tracks from a couple of soures and have been able to open them in SS and had exported them to SE so i could add into my existing sequences as sub sequences running over 2nd network (older controllers will run on legacy network and CCR Pixie will run on High Speed using super 500 speed USBconvertor.

As part of my testing I have tried running the sequence on SE (control light enabled) with just the new pixie tree controller connected - and i get nothing on at all. I have tried to understand the september 2016 user manual but am confusing myself even more...

Looking for advice and assistance on 2 fronts please:

1. How should i set up my Pixe 16D controller with the 12 ribbons to run on separate network to the main show - any step by step help would be great here please.

2. Having purchased a number of CCR Sequences and exported them to SE tracks what do i need to do to get them in the main show - i suspect its all about the channel configs but again any step by steps appreciated.

The show will be run from a laptop with the standard network on 1 usb (Comm3) and the super fast for pixie on Comm 5)

Feel like im so close ...but so far  - any pointer greatfully received. Many thanks in advance

Rob - ukoberon@yahoo.com

Ok - got the purchased tracks sorted - it was all about network config and channels.... So tommorow (Its late here now) will be all about the multiple network configs - any pointer on this still appreciated.

Thanks

On 11/22/2016 at 4:16 PM, ukoberon said:

Ok - got the purchased tracks sorted - it was all about network config and channels.... So tommorow (Its late here now) will be all about the multiple network configs - any pointer on this still appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Rob do you use teamviewer? If so PM me and we can get this knocked out this evening.

I use an AlphaPix16 myself but it sounds like you have not configured your card for universes or anything. Do you have an IP address assigned to the card at least?

Edited by gsmith37064

Hi All - so i muddled may way through it - not sure how but using the network preferences managed to set my AuxA to enhanced and my standard network to standard. took a couple of discoveries with the HU but again got there with this. Thing that caused me problems was the HU kept asking me if i wanted to run the show on this network - and i needed it to run on both.  Anyhow - by default i seemed to get there and my show is up and running. Thank you though for your offer !!

Here is my tip on avoiding the hardware utility wanting to change what network you are using for your show.  When it asks if you want to use this network, select the checkbox to never ask this question again and then tell it not use this port for the show (I don't remember the exact wording).  If you really need to change it someday, you can do so from Network Preferences.  Also, for anyone running more than one network, NEVER select Auto Configure.  Use the Manual Select below it instead.  If in doubt which Comm port is assigned to each adapter, go to the Windows Device Manager, and unplug all your adapters.  then plug one only and wait a second or two for Windows to recognize it and assign a Comm port number - at which time it will show up in the list of ports in Device Manager.  Leave that adapter plugged in and repeat the process for each adapter.  Document which Comm port is used for each adapter.  In my case, I have a text file called "LOR Circuits.txt" on the desktop of the show computer that reminds me in case I forget.  The current contents of that file is:

Com 3 - Regular Network - aka Network 1 (Year round - Inputs only - 57.6K normal)
Com 4 - Aux A Network - aka Network 2 (Year round - All ELOR capable devices - 115.4K enhanced)
Com 5 - Aux B Network - aka Network 3 (Christmas only - CCP arches & packages under tree - 500K enhanced)

Should be pretty obvious what is what...

• Like 1

good advice - thank you - i think the auto configure was where i was going wrong. Also needed to work my way through advanced settings on manual network config - pretty intuitive once i was into it but a little bit of trial and error.

On 11/28/2016 at 11:37 AM, k6ccc said:

Here is my tip on avoiding the hardware utility wanting to change what network you are using for your show.  When it asks if you want to use this network, select the checkbox to never ask this question again and then tell it not use this port for the show (I don't remember the exact wording).  If you really need to change it someday, you can do so from Network Preferences.  Also, for anyone running more than one network, NEVER select Auto Configure.  Use the Manual Select below it instead.  If in doubt which Comm port is assigned to each adapter, go to the Windows Device Manager, and unplug all your adapters.  then plug one only and wait a second or two for Windows to recognize it and assign a Comm port number - at which time it will show up in the list of ports in Device Manager.  Leave that adapter plugged in and repeat the process for each adapter.  Document which Comm port is used for each adapter.  In my case, I have a text file called "LOR Circuits.txt" on the desktop of the show computer that reminds me in case I forget.  The current contents of that file is:

Com 3 - Regular Network - aka Network 1 (Year round - Inputs only - 57.6K normal)
Com 4 - Aux A Network - aka Network 2 (Year round - All ELOR capable devices - 115.4K enhanced)
Com 5 - Aux B Network - aka Network 3 (Christmas only - CCP arches & packages under tree - 500K enhanced)

Should be pretty obvious what is what...

I know this has been resolved for the OP and that's great. I just wanted to highlight what k6ccc posted, this is huge and worth mentioning again. If you think you can get confused and forgetful this year,  wait until a whole years goes by and you add something new and haven't documented anything because you were in hurry to get your stuff going. I have done the same as k6ccc, I just added the firmware and Unit ID's I used a spreadsheet and saved it in picture form and tucked it into my LOR folder for quick reference later. It also helped me to setup props in PE and Visualizer and start sequencing for my new Pixie16's months before I got them because I knew what Comm Ports  and Unit ID's they would be.

Alan..

LOR%20Comm%20Ports1.png

Edited by default
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked