Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie to SuperStar - Inserting an image

drmoon68

I am looking to add some images. I have reviewed most of the video tutorials but I do not see one to cover putting in an image. When I try, the image shows up in the grid on the right but it does not seem to show when I play the Sequencer.  I have tried to shrink and enlarge it but still no luck.

Can someone point me to a video that might show more step by steps or give me some idea what I might be doing wrong?

David

Sorry, there is no video tutorial on adding images, but the following is from the help file:

Import Image

On the right half of the Image Setup dialog box is the Import Image section. This section is used to import image files such as .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png, and .ico files. To import an image file do the following:

Click on the Tools menu and select “Images…”

In the Import Image section, click on the “Import image File (JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, ICO, etc)” button

If you are in CCR Mode the sequencing grid will become larger and will be 64x50 pixels in size. This is to allow you to define a large image if you want. You can manipulate the image by using the following controls:

Move Origin X Y – This control will move the origin of the image. Use the arrow buttons to move it left, right, up, or down

Squish/Stretch X Y – This control will squish or stretch the image in the X or Y direction. Using this control will change the aspect ratio of the image.

Rotation Angle – Use this control to rotate the image. A positive angle will rotate the image clockwise. A negative angle will rotate the image counterclockwise.

Enlarge/Shrink – Use this control to enlarge or shrink the image.

Clip Grid Bitmap – While manipulating the image you can click on “Clip Grid Bitmap” and set a clipping rectangle on the sequencing grid using “Shift + Left Mouse Button”. Then when you click on “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” only the pixels within the clipping rectangle will get set.

After you have manipulated the image to the location, angle and size that you want, click on the “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” button. This will set the pixels on the sequencing grid to represent the original imported image. At this point you can manual edit the image if you wish. Note that you can set the color controls to the color of a pixel in the sequencing grid by moving the mouse to a pixel and then do Shift + Left mouse click. To set a pixel, set the color controls to the color you want and then click on one or more pixels.

After you have the image the way you want it, type in a name in the Image section and click on the “Add” button in the Image section.

Images on a Small Grid

For example, if you have 12 CCRs and you are in CCR mode then you have a grid of 12x50 pixels to work with. However, when you import the image the grid will become larger and will be 64x50 pixels in size. If you want your image to fit within your 12x50 pixels that you have, then you will need to shrink the imported image and move it to the left so that it will fit within the first 12 columns of pixels. Then you can click on the “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” button. You can then set the Grid Mode to “Standard” and the sequencing grid will become the standard size of 12x50 pixels.

Images on a Grid Larger than Your Actual Lights

For example, if you have 12 CCRs and you are in CCR mode then you have a grid of 12x50 pixels in your actual display. However, when you import the image the Grid Mode will automatically be set to “Large” and the grid will become large and will be 64x50 pixels in size. Even though your actual lights are only 12x50 pixels in size, you can create a larger image and move the image through your 12x50 pixels. This allows you to display large images on a small grid. To do this, do the following:

In the Import Image section, click on the “Import image File (JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, ICO, etc)” button

The sequencing grid becomes larger and will be 64x50 pixels in size.

Manipulate the image but keep it large so that it uses most or all of the 64x50 pixels

Click on the “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” button

If you want, manually edit the pixels further

In the “Image” section type in a name and click on the “Add” button

Now you want to add an image action that will move the image through your 12x50 pixels, so do the following:

Set the Grid Mode to “Standard”, this will change the grid to be the size of your actual display

In the time ruler at the top of the screen, set the time length to something long such as 4 seconds

In the Image Action section set Start x, y to 12, 0 and set the End x, y to -64, 0

In the Image Action section click on the “Add” button

Click on the “Play 8 seconds” button to play the Image Action. You should see the Image move through your 12 CCRs from right to left.

To make the image move from left to right, set Start x,y to -64, 0 and set End x, y to 12, 0. Note that these values assume your image is 64 pixels wide. If it is not that wide, then you would use smaller values.

Thanks. But I am still missing something. When I click on the Set Grid Bitmap from Image File, I will see it on the left in the pixel display. But when I click play, nothing appears. I tried to set the image action and best I get is one pixel moving across the top.

You are missing one step, after clicking on "Set Grid Bitmap from Image File" you can modify the pixels on the grid and then:

After you have the image the way you want it, type in a name in the Image section and click on the “Add” button in the Image section

This will add the image to the image list, and then you can add an Image Action

Thanks. It is a little counter intuitive. Seems like one should start in the upper right and click Add. But that seem to have worked.

One last question I think. Is there a way to modify the image (edit the Pixels) after you click add? If so, what are the steps for that? It does not seem to save any of the changes I make later.

Yes. Click on an image in the list of images and the image will appear on the sequencing grid. You can then modify the pixels and click on "modify" under the list of images (note that you do this in the upper list box of images, not the lower list box of image actions)

Another handy thing to know is that if you hover the mouse over a pixel in the sequencing grid and do "shift + left mouse click" it will set the color of that pixel into the color settings. Then you can click on other pixels to set the same color.