Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help with Pixie 16D, where do I start?

6t8dart

I need a lot of help quick, here is the situation....

New for this year...S4 Pro, Pixie16D, Showtime G3 Director, 1200 pixels (16x48 8 ft mega tree, 4x100 pixel arches). The mega tree will use 8 channels, 16 strips of 48, folded at the top of the tree between 48 and 49, so each string is 96 pixels. 4 channels will go unused for now. 

Previous years was a mini director, 2x CMD24 dumb controllers, house ourline in dumb rgb, 8 rgb floods, I have 2x CTB16's, three 12v power supplies (2x 400w & 1x 100w) and the older basic plus software. 

This is my first year doing pixels, when I ordered my stuff three months ago, I figured I would have 3 months to play and experiment with the new software and pixels. But thank to LOR, I just got my equipment Friday. Now I have 1 week to get it all running. I am not worried about sequencing, however it's the setup that has me confused. I am running a few bought sequences from Wowlights with RGB pixel support, later when I get it working I will work on adding pixels to my existing sequences I built.

This is where I need help, where do I start? Do I start with recognizing the controller? Do I then setup Visualizer ( I am considering starting from scratch), I have pixel editor, but not showtime, do I start with pixel editor. I need help with what is the proper sequence of events. Or should I just go with last year's display and sadly pack the pixels away? 

On 11/20/2016 at 10:50 AM, 6t8dart said:

This is where I need help, where do I start? Do I start with recognizing the controller?

Yes, setup the Pixie with Hardware Editor. I would recommend setting up the Pixie on it's own network using the Red Hi-Speed RS485 dongle. The new network will also need to be setup in Network Configuration.

Do I then setup Visualizer ( I am considering starting from scratch)

Yes, and if you are going to use Pixel Editor, you will have to set a prop up in there also.

I have pixel editor, but not showtime, do I start with pixel editor. I need help with what is the proper sequence of events.

Do you mean you do not have Superstar? If this is the case I would highly recommend getting Superstar. Pixel Editor was really designed for a large amount of Pixels. It will work fine for you, but Superstar has a faster learning curve and you will do some very creative stuff with it. (just my opinion)

Or should I just go with last year's display and sadly pack the pixels away? 

lol depends how many sleepless nights you want to endure. It is pretty late for doing everything this year, but doesn't mean you can't try. Actually this is a really time to start on next years show.:P

Alan...

I was even more lost.  and when I searched pixie16d, I got two threads - one of which was yours (obviously)

I read in the documentation that I needed version 4.3.16, but when I clicked through support and then software, all I was able to see was up to version 4.3.14.  kept looking in many different spots, finally forgot the "d" and ended up on a thread that had following link to get 4.3.16.

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/4.3.16/LOR-4.3.16.exe