Light-O-Rama Forums

What starter items do I need?

HitTheLights

Hello all!

I recently decided to delve into the animated light show world. I just purchased a LOR 16 channel controller and I have the lights that I intend on using to start until I add on (LEDs). What else do I need to have a basic light show this year? 

Being as it's kind of late to learn sequencing right now (if you don't know how), I would get a pre sequenced song from the store.

You can get a "ready to go" for a little price, or one you can alter for a few bucks more.

This way you get a show and can figure out how it goes together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You will need a dongle (from LOR) to connect your cat6 cable from the computer to the controller for checking lights,  If you don't want to run a computer all day and night, get the Mini Director, CAT 6 wire to connect your Director to the Controller, and if you want to display "Lights-to-Music." an FM transmitter. Also, Service Call is on the mark. It's getting late to start. Good luck, and check back on this forum for help.

18 minutes ago, MCas4380 said:

Lots of extension cord and then some more and a little more. 

Getting the hardward and lights all connected is probably the easy part. Getting a basic understanding of the Sequence Editor in LOR software takes some time.  Really no reason to buy a non-singing face/tree sequence...tons of them being shared on this site.  To make any purchased or shared sequences to matach up with your lights, you'll have to learn how to copy from them and paste into your sequence.  Little bit of a learning curve here and you're just running out of time this year.  Concentrate on getting 1 or 2 songs to practice with and see how far you can get.

Set up your lights/controller/compter and you'll be able to at least test the lights via the LOR Hardware Utiltiy.  Clear that hurdle, you can then concentrate on a couple sequences.

You can get the controlelrs and light

Thanks all...

I realize it's too late for a big show. I plan on just a basic show for this year using pre-made sequences and without sound. So if I'm unstranding this correctly, at the very minimum I'll need:

For computer set up...computer connected via Cat 6 to controller?

For "director" set up...director (how does it connect?) to controller?

philnuffer mentioned a "dongle"...what's the description? what's it for?

DownTown...what software would be best to start with? Where to buy? Does the controller not come with pre-installed software? 

Some additional general questions...

Thinking about using a raspberry pi 3 for the "brains". Does anyone else use this set up? would you recommend over the Mini Director? what else is needed for this type of set up?

I've seen talk of licenses...What are they? Is a license a must? What license(s) do I need?

I realize this is a lot of questions aND are probably very subjective, but I would really appreciate any help that would point me in the right direction. 

Thanks again for the help...I know everyone is busy right now.

The software is what runs the sequence you are purchasing. It allows you to coordinate the lights to the music. There's only one software but different levels.

A license dictates how many controllers you can operate.

The dongle is the connection between the cat 5/6 and the computer. Use ONLY LOR dongles.

The director uses an SD card to run the show as opposed to your computer.

2 hours ago, HitTheLights said:

DownTown...what software would be best to start with? Where to buy? Does the controller not come with pre-installed software? 

Look here http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html to see the various functionality levels of the different software licenses. You can buy the Light O Rama software from that link.

The dongle is what connects your PC to the controller. It can also be bought at the Light O Rama store site.

D.T.

Software level - Well that depends upon where you think you will end up and when. Better to purchase a license level higher than what you think you will need than for it to not be high enough. I went with the advanced but to each his own.

Something to think about with sound. How is your audience going to be listening to it? FM antennae or some other means?

You can find a lot of free sequences in the Sequence forum. Know you will have to customize it to your display and you may need to purchase the music if you don't already own it.

Be certain to have a long enough cat 5/6 cable to reach where ever you put your controller. Some like their controllers hidden. Others place it out in the open closest to where the lights will be.

When all is said and done, though this may be overwhelming at first have fun with it. For if you don't enjoy it then what's the point?

Thanks all! I needed up buying the SPK-ST generic starter kit w/ basic plus software. I've downloaded the software and will now attempt to find a sequence on the forum. Is getting a pre-made sequence as easy as copy and paste? Wish me luck!

Ok so I ordered a starter kit from an authorized lor dealer along with some sequences.  My question is how do I get them into my show?  My package should be coming in the next couple of days but I would like to get a jumpstart. It says the sequences are ready to download how do I import them into my program? Any videos out there? Thanks

1 hour ago, Chapman lights said:

Ok so I ordered a starter kit from an authorized lor dealer along with some sequences.  My question is how do I get them into my show?  My package should be coming in the next couple of days but I would like to get a jumpstart. It says the sequences are ready to download how do I import them into my program? Any videos out there? Thanks

not knowing exactly what you purchased - here's best places to start:

http://www.wowlights.com/Support/Support.asp

http://www1.lightorama.com/where-do-you-start-when-making-a-show/

http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/#

Hi I wasn't sure if I could name the company but I did buy from wowlights.  I have watched some of those videos and can't wait to get going.  Thanks for the reply I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I move forward.  Thanks again

HitTheLights, watch all the videos… They are invaluable!   Take a day and just sit there and watch them. You will find all kinds of information and as they're going through their explanations, you'll start thinking about all the different things that you need to do and it will all fall together! 

I honestly didn't think that I would have much to learn from them, but I did! These are made by people that do this stuff all the time; they will give you an education!

• 2 weeks later...