Light-O-Rama Forums

Network adapter

Steve Constantino

When using E1.31 on a PC with two network cards, is there a way in LOR software to choose what network adapter to use?

Steve

Yes .... 

I am assuming that both nics are not on the same network... 

If you run Unicast, then you can specify the address to your controller. Only the traffic on that network will go out on that nic. 

if you are using multicast, it will broadcast across both nics.

However, you can add a static route that will contain the multicast traffic to the nic you are using for E1.31 traffic ...

route -p add 224.0.0.0 mask 240.0.0.0 <ip of correct pc interface to use> metric 5

The "p" in the route command will make this a persistant route meaning you dont have to set it everytime you boot.

I use the static route because I have the show nic and a Wifi connection to the house router (it updates the web page when the show starts) .

Bob 

• 1 year later...
On 11/20/2016 at 10:09 PM, bob_moody said:

Yes .... 

I am assuming that both nics are not on the same network... 

If you run Unicast, then you can specify the address to your controller. Only the traffic on that network will go out on that nic. 

if you are using multicast, it will broadcast across both nics.

However, you can add a static route that will contain the multicast traffic to the nic you are using for E1.31 traffic ...

route -p add 224.0.0.0 mask 240.0.0.0 <ip of correct pc interface to use> metric 5

The "p" in the route command will make this a persistant route meaning you dont have to set it everytime you boot.

I use the static route because I have the show nic and a Wifi connection to the house router (it updates the web page when the show starts) .

Bob 

Bob,

Could you please explain why you add 224.0.0.0? I thought Multicast runs on 239.255.x.x?  I'm sure I am missing something.