Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I sequence at work and then access it from another computer at home somehow?

Tom T12345

For each sequence (ie xxx), you copy the xxx.las (automated) or xxx.lms (musically) file.  This is usually in the user/lightorama/sequence folder. 

Get yourself a free Dropbox account.  Then, copy the music you're using to that location and when you next save a sequence, save it to the same Dropbox folder.  You can easily acess both the audio and sequence file from there, regardless of which computer you're using.  (The first time you open an existing sequence file from Dropbox, you'll have to re-direct LOR to where you have the music file.)

• Like 2

I have use thumb drives and also Google Drive.  These days generally I just use Google Drive since after every sequencing session, I copy the last version to Google Drive anyway.  When at an other location, just log into my Google account, and copy the file to whatever computer I'm using.  when done for the day, copy the latest version back to Google Drive.  Note, that the new version will ALWAYS have a new filename, so it's easy to tell which version is newer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Note, that the new version will ALWAYS have a new filename, so it's easy to tell which version is newer.

This tip has made my life so much easier.  Because I've sequenced from 3 different PCs, sometimes all in the same day, more than once have I found myself opening an older version of a sequence I'm working with.  After seeing Jim's naming advice two or three years ago, I've never since been confused or misled which is my newest version of a given sequence. 

Jim, please accept my belated thanks for that great piece of advice!

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

Jim, please accept my belated thanks for that great piece of advice!

Why Thank You George!  You are very welcome.

I sequence on my main PC and my Surface Pro all the time. I use Google Drive.

The synchronization is so fast it takes seconds, if I have not made any huge changes.

I ran my show from Google Drive last year. Any change I make would be on the lights next time the sequence plays.

+1 on Google Drive. Personally, I use Google Drive for all things related to LOR. I even organize it by song. Since my show is run off of a separate computer, I have to have everything synchronized - LMS files, visualizations, LEE files, LCC files, etc. I work and save on my PC, then go do an update in the folder on Google Drive. The Google Drive offers "file versioning, so I can drop the newest version (say something bad would ever happen where I lose a file), and easily get older versions if necessary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

+1 on Google Drive. Personally, I use Google Drive for all things related to LOR. I even organize it by song. Since my show is run off of a separate computer, I have to have everything synchronized - LMS files, visualizations, LEE files, LCC files, etc. I work and save on my PC, then go do an update in the folder on Google Drive. The Google Drive offers "file versioning, so I can drop the newest version (say something bad would ever happen where I lose a file), and easily get older versions if necessary.

I organise it by song too. The media file, sequence and XLights LCBs all go in there. I had my first ever close call with a huge sequence a few weeks ago, when I pasted something over everything, then saved, but thanks to Google Drive's previous versions, all is good.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, i have tried this too but failed in some areas

If i update any of the props in PE they save locally being the LOR folder is local only to my pc.

I use google drive to save the sequences but i notice if i play back from another pc some of the effects i made in SE or SS don't play in PE almost as if its trying to read from another local file to play that part of the sequence that i don't have on goole drive.

is there a way to get everything to only be on google drive and have LOR on both pc's always read from there vs using the local LOR folder un /documents/LOR?

Brichi, I don't use PE so I don't know how or if it stores parts of the data separately from the actual sequence file. For SuperStar and Sequence Editor, you can get by with only the sequence file (.sup for SS, and .las or .lms for SE). For SE, there is also file that saves the state of SE (zoom levels, etc) but that is NOT required. As I recall, that is a .lsv filename (don't hold me to that as I'm on my phone right now).
As for the suggestion to play your show from an internet file location (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc), I do not recommend that. Do you really want your show to barf because you internet went down, or hickupped? Or maybe just your visiting grandkid tying all your bandwidth watching YouTube? I got burned (sort of) a few years due to that. For Halloween, I only do a simple show (the lights are a background animation sequence, and the music files are music only with no lights). A couple years ago, my son who is really into Halloween created a large playlist on Google because he did not like my music selection. So I jest ran the animation, and the music was coming from a PC playing the Google playlist. About an hour into the evening, my DSL started dropping once in a while. A while later it was dropping out badly enough that we stopped his Google playlist and went back to a show with my music files.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Thanks K6CCC, i thought the same thing after i posted this, bad idea in case internet goes down