Light-O-Rama Forums

Dual CMB-24D's

Wayne K

I have 2 CMB-24 controllers. I want to put one on each side of the house so I don't have to run cables over my sidewalk and long runs to the other side of the house. I currently have 8 all outputs on one controller used. Can I take lets say 4 of the outputs and move to the second controller and make both controllers the same id? If that is not a problem, then what about the 4 open ports on each controller if I split them up 4 on one controller and 4 on the other controller, will that damage the boards with no load on the open ports on each controller?

In other words

2 controllers with same ID

North controller using 1 thru 4 controlling lights, 5 thru 8 open

South controller using 1 thru 4 open, 5 thru 8 controlling lights

If this will not work, I will just go back to using one controller. Don't have time to reprogram sequences due to building new garage that has gotten into my X-Mas time.

Wayne

Wayne,

You cannot use the same ID on 2 controllers.  You can do all the things you mentioned without hurting the controller, but you have to add another ID and daisy chain the controllers together.  Don't forget to update the Unit ID in the Sequence Editor.

Hope this helps.

That answer is incorrect. You absolutely can have multiple controllers with the same ID. They will both respond to the same commands. Sending commands to a controller for channels that have no lights connected is not a problem at all. So your an to use channels 1- 12 on one CMB24, and channels 13 - 24 on the other controller will be fine. You should run the Cat-5 to one controller, and then from the first controller to the second controller.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Guys

Thanks for the reply's. Jim you are correct. Since I had gotten no replies, I opened a ticket with tech support and they advised that 2 controllers will work with the same ID as you stated. And what I wanted to do was ok and a lot of people do that.

Wayne

I don't understand why you would want 2 controllers with same id, as long as they ran separate channels?

Hopefully it isn't because you think 2  controllers have to be dairsy changed together?  You can have a cat5 splitter after the computer and then send 2 cat5 cable separate direction to feed the 2 controllers.

I split off to a controller and the other split go onto 4 other controllers that are daisy changed.

16 hours ago, mpageler said:

I don't understand why you would want 2 controllers with same id, as long as they ran separate channels?

Hopefully it isn't because you think 2  controllers have to be dairsy changed together?  You can have a cat5 splitter after the computer and then send 2 cat5 cable separate direction to feed the 2 controllers.

I split off to a controller and the other split go onto 4 other controllers that are daisy changed.

Basically I had one controller last year controlling my flood lights around the house. But I had 4 cords running over my sidewalk to get to the other side of the house. So since I had an extra controller and did not get any programming time this year ( due to building a new shop ) I wanted to get the cords off of the sidewalk. So I took the second controller and took the 4 flood light channels going across the sidewalk and put them on the second controller. So by using a second controller I am able to run the 4 floods off of one controller and 4 floods off of the other controller and not have to do any programing and get the wires off of the sidewalk. It is a waste of a controller, but for this year it gets done what I wanted to do.

Wayne

It's not wasting a controller if it's extra and you had no plans for it anyways. It's actually smart planning in putting it to use, not programming a thing and getting cords off the sidewalk. :)

Happy Thanksgiving.

• The topic was locked