Light-O-Rama Forums

Individual Candy Canes

edtrac

Hi, I am looking to build one of those 16 candy cane pinwheel devices.  They look really neat from the few videos I have seen.  Only issue I am having is sourcing the actual candy canes.  Most sets come with 4-6 connected canes.  I suppose I could cut them and switch out the bulbs for higher voltages but I would prefer just to buy 16 individual ones.  Does anyone have a link to a site that sells them like this?

13 minutes ago, edtrac said:

Hi, I am looking to build one of those 16 candy cane pinwheel devices.  They look really neat from the few videos I have seen.  Only issue I am having is sourcing the actual candy canes.  Most sets come with 4-6 connected canes.  I suppose I could cut them and switch out the bulbs for higher voltages but I would prefer just to buy 16 individual ones.  Does anyone have a link to a site that sells them like this?

Bought all mine at Walmart. 

I have used canes from sets of 3 for 6 years now.  I cut the tree into singles.  Yes you end up over powering each of the canes.  Out of about 125 canes I have only lost one.  Since the canes are powered for such a short period of time each the bulbs do not fail.  I have done this with double and triple strings.  The one that actually failed (after a couple of years, I just pulled a pair of 12 bulb strings though it.

DON'T leave the canes on for an extended period of time.