Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

Scud2

So I have the whole house fm transmitter that LOR offers on their website. I am looking to purchase something that is well something that will transmit to the street with no problem. What can I do to A. Boost the power a little to this thing or B. What fm transmitter offers a little "more juice"? Any help is appreciated!

I use the CZH-05B and it had incredible range, my light show is on a farm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZH-05B-PLL-FM-76-108MHz-Radio-Station-500mW-Mini-Audio-Stereo-Transmitter-FCC-/261198924495?hash=item3cd0ab4acf:g:AqIAAOSwtnpXjKYg

Edited by BlackwolfK9
  • Like 1

That's awesome. Thank you so much. Now with that antenna do you have it in an open spot inside your house? Price is def right there!

They claim:

FCC Part 15 Compliant - We meet FCC Part 15 rules so you don't need a license to broadcast.  
                                                   (FCC ID: 2ABT5AX05B7C)

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

The only real worry you should consider is broadcasting on the same frequency as any nearby radio station.

The CZH-05B is an excellent transmitter I've been proud to recommend for the past five or six years.  Buy only the model with the rubber-ducky antenna.  Set your PC's audio output near 50%, and set the transmitter's gain control approximately 1/3 - 1/2 on the dial and you're good to go. 

Make sure to NEVER power up the transmitter for ANY reason whatsoever without first having the antenna connected.

• Like 2

A number of past theads on transmitter brands and the range issue. Just do a thread title search on "fm transmitter".

Many brand options... I use an EDM which is a popular brand here and have bee real happy with for 2 years now.

49 minutes ago, Scud2 said:

Ended up going with the CZH-05B. Should come later this week and I'll test it a little bit

With that fm transmitter you will only need to use low power as high power will really reach out there.

Just an FYI here as most don't know, hold the power button in and plug the unit in to access the hi/low power mode.

On 11/13/2016 at 9:27 AM, Santas Helper said:

They claim:

FCC Part 15 Compliant - We meet FCC Part 15 rules so you don't need a license to broadcast.  
                                                   (FCC ID: 2ABT5AX05B7C)

I wouldn't worry about it.

What do you mean by this? The way I understand it is only 200 feet from the transmitter.

Gary

6 minutes ago, Gary N said:

What do you mean by this? The way I understand it is only 200 feet from the transmitter.

Gary

Are you saying it only transmits 200 feet out from the transmitter?

I know we are in a gray area using transmitters. I use an EDM, and set it on low power and have the dial a 1/4 turn up, with the rubber ducky antenna. I still have a range of about 2.5 blocks. I have more range in back of my house then in front. People park in the gas station parking lot across from my house to watch the show. There is something with gas station that interferes with the signal, so I had to turn it up that 1/4 turn. I live in a small town in northern WI, so I hope there should not be a problem.

What I was asking is that (they say) it is FCC Part 15 compliant, what does that mean? You can not get into trouble with that transmitter? I was under the understanding you can only transmit 200 feet from the source(transmitter), with out getting into trouble.

Has there been a problem with people having problems with the FCC because of light shows, or are we just talking about the rules?

I would hate not being able to use a transmitter, it is cold up here and no one would get out of there cars to watch the show, I have sound in my yard, and no one has ever watched the show from the sidewalk.

Gary

• Like 1

I know we are in a gray area using transmitters. I use an EDM, and set it on low power and have the dial a 1/4 turn up, with the rubber ducky antenna. I still have a range of about 2.5 blocks. I have more range in back of my house then in front. People park in the gas station parking lot across from my house to watch the show. There is something with gas station that interferes with the signal, so I had to turn it up that 1/4 turn. I live in a small town in northern WI, so I hope there should not be a problem.

What I was asking is that (they say) it is FCC Part 15 compliant, what does that mean? You can not get into trouble with that transmitter? I was under the understanding you can only transmit 200 feet from the source(transmitter), with out getting into trouble.

Has there been a problem with people having problems with the FCC because of light shows, or are we just talking about the rules?

I would hate not being able to use a transmitter, it is cold up here and no one would get out of there cars to watch the show, I have sound in my yard, and no one has ever watched the show from the sidewalk.

Gary

That is exactly my worry. However I choose a station that has nothing on it and I plan to dial it down. I guess you could always fall back on the "FCC Compliant " part

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't know how the FCC would find out, I don't think they are driving around looking for violators. More then likely it would be a station complaining about you stepping on their broadcasts. I make sure my station is clear and one channel up and down is clear as well.

• Like 1

As far as I know the channel I use is clear, I have checked it often. That is why I when with the EDM, so there would not be any bleed over, or wondering into other channels. It is more expensive, but I ready do like this transmitter. The sound quality is awesome, you can not even tell the difference between my channel and a radio station. People still ask me how I get a radio station to play my music and keep it in time with the show.

Gary