Light-O-Rama Forums

RBG Strips and Flood Seasonal Question

Septon

Hello

I am new to RBG so please excuse my ignorance.  I would like to have RBG on the house year round, around the windows etc.  They look small and thin enough.  I also want to add some RBG lighting to the yard as well.  But frankly I am really dumb when it comes to electricity.  I can and do build software, built my own basement, roofed my own house... but 3 wires eludes me every time.  I don't want to spend all I can spend... I just want a simple solution, that I can work on.  Anyway... I guess I am looking for a buddy.  Someone to chat with via email/text/messages/FB/smoke signals etc who wouldn't mind showing the guy the ropes... It was only 2 years ago I found there was such thing as a way to make my music go to Christmas lights.  Prior to that I had this convoluted system..

pat@septon.ca

Much thanks

What i did was remove the screens on the windows. Run my strips inside the frame and put the screen back on. You cannot see them. And they offer an really amazing glow. Now the waterproof end sits inside the frame as well and you do see this (only from inside the house if you are looking down) as it's big as can be. Only down side. Of course you can wire the ends up any way you want but I wanted them to be waterproof still seeing how the strips can still get wet from rain. I then run 4pair FLAT wire under the screen and down the side of the house to the mulch bed. Then from there the wires are buried and run to my garage where the controllers are at. I am DUMB RGB which is why i use 4pair.

For the eves I use outdoor 3M tape and have the strips run that way. The wires run down the side of the drain pipes and into the mulch bed. I have a little work to do on these still as you can see the wire. What I need to do is unscrew the down spouts and run the wire behind them.

Hope that helps some.

Edited by gsmith37064

Pat (at least I assume it's Pat based on your E-Mail address).  I run year round landscape lighting from LOR.  I am not doing window lighting, but you might want to take a look at this web page as it may give some ideas.  I am more than happy to explain the technical side of running LOR year round.

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

2 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

What i did was remove the screens on the windows. Run my strips inside the frame and put the screen back on. You cannot see them. And they offer an really amazing glow. Now the waterproof end sits inside the frame as well and you do see this (only from inside the house if you are looking down) as it's big as can be. Only down side. Of course you can wire the ends up any way you want but I wanted them to be waterproof still seeing how the strips can still get wet from rain. I then run 4pair FLAT wire under the screen and down the side of the house to the mulch bed. Then from there the wires are buried and run to my garage where the controllers are at. I am DUMB RGB which is why i use 4pair.

For the eves I use outdoor 3M tape and have the strips run that way. The wires run down the side of the drain pipes and into the mulch bed. I have a little work to do on these still as you can see the wire. What I need to do is unscrew the down spouts and run the wire behind them.

Hope that helps some.

Can you send me a photo some time of your setup?   I NEVER THOUGHT of inside the window before the Screen.  AWESOME!!  And it is there year long?  RBG Stays and lasts years?

Thanks for the advice there.  AWESOME and exactly what I needed.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Pat (at least I assume it's Pat based on your E-Mail address).  I run year round landscape lighting from LOR.  I am not doing window lighting, but you might want to take a look at this web page as it may give some ideas.  I am more than happy to explain the technical side of running LOR year round.

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

Love the lighting ideas on this.  Great job!