Light-O-Rama Forums

DSLR Filming Settings

scodavis

Hello,

For those who use a DSLR to film their holiday display, I was curious to know what you were using as your settings.  Personally, I use a Canon 60D to do filming, and last night I filmed my display.  My settings were 720p, 60 fps video, with exposure set to 1/60 second, f/5.6 on the aperture, ISO 800 sensitivity.  It turned out pretty well but I did have to lighten it a bit.

What settings do YOU use?

-Scott

28 minutes ago, EmmienLightFan said:

Can't your camera do 1080p? The lower frame rate is worth the increased resolution.

I used to think that also but after messing around with my DSLR the higher frame rate to me gives better color rendition and smoother video.  I'm going to try scodavis settings after I get the rest of my display setup this weekend.  Are you using a DSLR camera for video ELF?  If so what settings are you using?

2 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

Can't your camera do 1080p? The lower frame rate is worth the increased resolution.

It can.  I use the 720p60 because it is 60 frames per second.  I have noticed that the shimmer effect looks really weird if videotaped at 30 fps but looks perfect at 60.

On 11/8/2016 at 10:27 AM, B.Y.R.G. said:

Could you show us a video with the settings you are using?

BYRG, thank you for the compliment on the website.  In response to your other question, I have just posted a video of one of my twelve songs onto YouTube.

https://youtu.be/N3BIpIUNtAM

Enjoy!

-Scott

• 1 month later...

I've learned to keep the iso Low... Say no more than 200 as it allows for more light to come into the lense. Also make sure that the ND Filter is set to off.

• The topic was locked