Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand New - Looking for Design Ideas

Santaron

Hi Guys, 

This is my first year ever attempting this. I just ordered the  Residential Series 16 Channel Starter Package ,With that 16 channels does that mean i can have 5 lights piggy backed and plugged into one channel? So those 16 channels are what will be dancing to the lights in those sections right?

Also, What would the easiest thing to set up? I have no Flipping idea what to design. I can even send you guys a pic of my house and you tell me what the best might be.  I will add more and more each year but want something to look good this year.

I appreciate your help ahead of time. Thank you!

Hi Everyone, I just bought -  Residential Series 16 Channel Starter Package and am curious what the easiest thing to set up would be? I see everyone talking about sequences but cant i buy those pre done from LOR? Or do you have to manually do each one?  

My idea was to do 3 trees, 1 big two small on either side. would this be something i could do with 16 channel and the starting kit?

If you connect several strings to one channel, the strings cannot be controlled individually.

3 trees could work, but you will find it hard to find pre-made (From LOR or elsewhere) sequences that fit.

Remember the 4x4 rule if you buy sequences. 4 props, each with 4 channels. For example, you could have "bands" of lights on a tree, and 4 bands on each tree. The Ready To Go or You Can Modify sequences would fit quite well, and you could have pulsing effects, going up/down, and things like that.

To do the three trees would probably work good.  8 channels for the big tree and 8 shared for the two smaller ones.

Pre bought sequences probably will not work as most are designed for a complete house and yard display.

Getting shared sequences with mega trees would most likely be best as you could just copy and paste the tree sections out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

To do the three trees would probably work good.  8 channels for the big tree and 8 shared for the two smaller ones.

Pre bought sequences probably will not work as most are designed for a complete house and yard display.

Getting shared sequences with mega trees would most likely be best as you could just copy and paste the tree sections out.

Thanks Brian, So what exactly a mega tree if i may ask? Just a large tree in the middle pretty much right? Also the arches i see in some videos are those prebough or are people making them.,

Lastly, and i appriciate your help. WOW lights, if i buy things from them will it work with LOR equipment?

On 09/11/2016 at 2:12 AM, Santaron said:

With that 16 channels does that mean i can have 5 lights piggy backed and plugged into one channel?

16 channels represent 16 individual outputs, usually you attach 1 string of lights to each channel.

You could connect a piggy-back or power board to a channel to connect more than 1 string to a channel but you have to be very careful about power draw on each channel and total for each controller.

You could also have 1 string of lights that consist of multiple strands if you get the connectable type light strings. Again, see note about total power draw.

LOR has a good FAQ for this: How Many Lights?

What is a mega tree two types of mega trees in this video the 3 big trees at the 1:10 mark would all constitute a "mega tree". People are going towards the pixel version (0:20 mark of video) of mega tree.

The actual arches are made and come in 2 main types:

1. multiple individual strands of lights wrapped around arch (arch usually made from plumbing conduit) (see 0:50 in above video above for example)

2. pixel strips or nodes attached to arch. arch made from plumbing conduit or hdpe conduit this video shows a pixel hdpe conduit type arch

Hope this clears up a few of your questions.