Light-O-Rama Forums

Ray Wu Power Supply

HVACR

I need some help with ID of some power terminals. This is the link to the item:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5V-400W-rain-proof-switch-mode-Power-Supply-AC120V-or-AC230V-input-DC5V-output/1750596067.html

The top 3 are POS, POS, POS,

The next 3 are NEG, NEG, NEG

What are the next 3 terminals?

Guessing the black on the neutral. 

Can't read Chinese. Any help is great.

Thanks HVACR.

I cant read it easier, but presumably, hot, neutral, and ground.  Can't tell what order, but I am guessing the one next to the negative is ground, and the other two are power and neutral (your guess on the order).

Thats a 220 volt supply....so the bottom 2 reds are 110 + and the 3rd one up (black) would be neutral...That would be my guess, but I'd take a ohm/continuity meter to it anyway.

I think best practices, not to mention common sense, dictates that you should not purchase a PS that you aren't CERTAIN of where to connect what.  There's way too many other power supplies from which to choose, and the difference in price is less than replacing a string of nodes or pixels.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 11:34 PM, Need more lights said:

Thats a 220 volt supply....so the bottom 2 reds are 110 + and the 3rd one up (black) would be neutral...That would be my guess, but I'd take a ohm/continuity meter to it anyway.

It is an auto switching supply. Normal 220v power supplies only have one live, one neutral and one earth.

And our mains 230 volts is different to yours. Yours is two legs of 110v, ours is just straight 230VAC. The connections are the same whether you use 220v or 110v.

I have the 5v version of that device, and can confirm that my one is the same as the Meanwell pictured above.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Hello lightfans

Especially with powersupplies of that much power do not use them if you are not sure how to! The risk of this much power available is to big to mess with.

The current that this type op power supply can deliver could cause fire in an instant.

Safety should always be your first concern! Even with 12 Volt.

Just some thoughts from The Netherlands

Dick de Wit

12 hours ago, Trickyd said:

Hello lightfans

Especially with powersupplies of that much power do not use them if you are not sure how to! The risk of this much power available is to big to mess with.

The current that this type op power supply can deliver could cause fire in an instant.

Safety should always be your first concern! Even with 12 Volt.

Just some thoughts from The Netherlands

Dick de Wit

If used incorrectly, any power supply could cause a fire.

The voltage is low enough not to pass through skin, which has a high resistance. It takes about 60v to even feel a tingle on your hands.

The part most likely to cause a fatality or fire is the mains input. I am very careful with 230 volts.

It is surprising how touch the cheap power supplies are though. I have had one's output wires sitting in water, moving all the copper and plating one wire. It was like that for about  a month. I have accidentally shorted them with stray bits of copper finding their way to the next terminal, but all that happened was the tiny bits of copper turned red hot and fell off.