Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar Help

submarine guy

Attempting to build a 16 channel tree with 2 star outputs, however the controller I bought will only handle 16 channels total.  Would be is it better to go with a 14 channel tree and 2 channel star?  If not how can I go about making the 18 channels work and how would I make that display in superstar?  I know that each channel can support 150 pixels so I was thinking about having 2 channels control a string and one part of the star.  Please help

When you say you want to build a "16 Channel Tree" do you mean a tree with 16 CCRs? If so, you need to have 16 CCRs, or 16 of the new CCR IIs.

It sounds like you have a 16 channel controller. A 16 channel controller will control 16 regular lights. It does not control 16 CCRs.

What hardware do you have?

No sorry. I ordered the pixie16 from LOR and plan to use bullet nodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the star need for controller?  By that I mean, is it some number of pixels, dumb strips, AC strings, etc.

Ok, I understand your situation better now. When you say "bullet nodes" do you mean CCPs? (Cosmic Color Pixels).

When you say you want a 2 channel star at the top, do you mean that you have a star that uses 2 strings of bullet nodes?

I'll attach I sketch shortly. I have 12v pixels ws2811 I bought from diyledexpress.

Is the star also using WS2811 nodes, or something else.  If yes, how many?

Yes 2 50 pixel strings

You can use the Pixie 16 for the tree, and then you will need another Pixie controller for the star.

By the way, I sell an RGB Star kit for 200 pixels on my website at www.superstarlights.com.

As I recall, the Pixie can drive up to 100 pixels per string. You could take the 16 outputs from the Pixie to the 16 strings on the tree. Then take two of those strings and have your two strings for the star connected to the end. The result would be 14 strings of 50 pixels and two strings of 100 pixels. That is not a problem for either Visualizer or Superstar. That way you could still use all 16 strings of your tree and still have the star on top. You would likely need to do some power injection on the 100 pixel strings, but that's not a real problem either.

If course your drawing with 14 strings would also work.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

The Pixie controller can run 16 strings, with each string having its own unit ID. As k6ccc mentions, the Pixie controller can run 100 pixels per string, but if you do that, all 100 pixels will have the same unit ID. This is a problem for the Visualizer and for Superstar. The visualizer and superstar require that each 50 pixel string have its own unit ID.

To use your display with the visualizer and superstar you will need to get another Pixie controller for the star.

The Pixie controller can run 16 strings, with each string having its own unit ID. As k6ccc mentions, the Pixie controller can run 100 pixels per string, but if you do that, all 100 pixels will have the same unit ID. This is a problem for the Visualizer and for Superstar. The visualizer and superstar require that each 50 pixel string have its own unit ID.

To use your display with the visualizer and superstar you will need to get another Pixie controller for the star.

If I run only 14 strings and dedicate the other 2 to the star would it work correctly?

You can use the Pixie 16 for the tree, and then you will need another Pixie controller for the star.

By the way, I sell an RGB Star kit for 200 pixels on my website at www.superstarlights.com.

I made my own Coro star similar to the boscoyo one that holds 90 pixels

You can indeed make a 14 strand tree and use 2 strings for the star. However, most folks have a 12 string tree, or a 16 string tree. You will have a non-standard tree.

The 200 pixel RGB star has 5 concentric stars. For displays with the 200 pixel RGB star Superstar will automatically convert the star sequencing for the monochrome star to make the RGB star look like the monochrome star. And in the future I will make sequences with sequencing for the 200 pixel star.

Even if you don't use my sequences, there are advantages to establishing a standard display because then everyone can share sequences.

But if you want, you can of course do a 14 string tree, and the 2 string star.

You can indeed make a 14 strand tree and use 2 strings for the star. However, most folks have a 12 string tree, or a 16 string tree. You will have a non-standard tree.

The 200 pixel RGB star has 5 concentric stars. For displays with the 200 pixel RGB star Superstar will automatically convert the star sequencing for the monochrome star to make the RGB star look like the monochrome star. And in the future I will make sequences with sequencing for the 200 pixel star.

Even if you don't use my sequences, there are advantages to establishing a standard display because then everyone can share sequences.

But if you want, you can of course do a 14 string tree, and the 2 string star.

Currently I'm just looking for cost versus efficiency. Was trying to find a way to make it work without buying more equipment.