Light-O-Rama Forums

Time Length of Audio File Error

bob_moody

I know this has been covered before and I am sorry for asking again, but I'm not finding the thread right off and frankly.... oh look a squirrel!!! 

I'm getting this error on several existing sequences. I did upgrade to LOR 4 from LOR 3 this year... 

I would have thought that after opening it, editing it, saving it, exporting it etc etc .. that the file would have corrected itself and would never see the error again .. 

Obviously I'm wrong and apparently do not understand the error .. 

Anyone shed some light ?? (no pun intended .. or was it?? lol) .. 

Thanks for looking .. 

Bob 

In SE, PE, or Superstar? And if in SE, were the sequences originally created in SuperStar or PE?

Oh, I guess I can rule out PE since these were from S3...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Are you getting a warning when opening a sequence in superstar? If so, what is the exact wording of the warning/error?

Brian,

Exact Message:

Warning: The time length of the audio file is shorter than the length of the effects.If you load this audio file there are effects beyond the end of the audio file that you will never see.

Do you want to lad the audio file. 

I always answer yes, go about my programming, save and move on. 

When I come back later .. same message.

Bob 

As you say, after saving the file and launching again the warning should go away. Go to the end of the sequence and check to see if there are any effects that go beyond the end of the sequence. If there is, shorten them or delete them and then save the file. Let me know if there are effects beyond the end of the file, superstar should have deleted them. Also, what version are your running?

Superstar Version 40CCR - 4.3.14

I THINK I may have resolved it.

for example, the end of the song is at 3:15.00. However the grid continues on out to 3:24.90

I created a scene at 3:24.00 then manually extended it PAST the end of the grid say around 3:26.00 

I then deleted that event and saved the sequence.

When I opened it back up, I did not get the error. 

What is interesting when/if you go past the end of the visible grid and you delete the event, it leaves a little artifact right on the edge . 

Another question, can/do these extended events get exported and copied into the sequence editor? 

Bob 

Edited by bob_moody

Yes, as you say superstar will sometimes leave an artifact when deleting effects at the end, that is a painting problem that is not related to the problem about having effects extend beyond the end.

Not sure exactly why it is behaving the way it is, but glad you got it working.

I spoke to soon... It worked on one .. but then I went to another and cant seem to get it to clear the opening error. 

I even went WAY beyond the end of the grid ... 

Please email the sequence and the audio file to brian@superstarlights.com

I want to see why this is happening.

I am sending the SUP file and the MP3

Do you need the VIZ file as well or is it already embedded in the SUP file ? 

Bob 

Email sent...

I went ahead tossed in the .LEE file as well..

This the viz file you specifically helped me with last time we talked. 

Thanks Again ... 

Bob 

I may have found the secret Brian. I may not have done this exact step when i said it didnt work ... 

I create a scene at the end past where I would have stopped with the music. 

Copy and paste to match the number of row ... 

Select them all and Extend it past the end of the grid 

(THIS IS WHAT I MISSED) select one of these and then click on EDIT | SELECT ALL RIGHT

This will get all the new things I created and any "hidden" artifacts past the grid (????)

Then delete and save .. 

I closed it and opened it back up .. the issue is gone (on this song)

bob 

I believe this happens because basically I am a lazy sequencer. 

I created the the Hat and Tree sequence in the my first song then copied it to create the hat and trees in the other 17 songs

The hat is basically the same in all songs, only the name of the song and artist changes. Then I strip off the tree coding and replace it with the code I used for the arches.. Keeps everything looking pretty uniform as far as colors and changes go. 

The caveat is that I do this for a 3 min song then copy to a song that is only 2 mins and poof ... you get events lost in never never land past the end of the sequence .. 

So its not REALLY a problem with SuperStar its an ID10T error from the guy behind the keyboard. 

I think this is the issue and the cause. Its a theory I/we/you can maybe test and code for later on. 

Nothing is fool proof ... we are to ingenious :-) ... 

Bob 

I received the files and took a look at them. I duplicated the problem. I looked at the code, and it turns out that when you get the warning about there being effects beyond the end of the audio file, that superstar does not delete the effects that are beyond the end of the audio file. I guess I reasoned that you may want to keep them. So you have to delete them yourself. The way to make sure they are all deleted is to bring up all the dialog boxes and scroll down to the end of the list of effects and then delete the ones that are beyond the end. In the case of the sequence you sent me, there were some image actions and text actions that were beyond the end of the audio file.

It is reasonable to expect that the program would automatically delete effects that are beyond the end of the audio file. Sorry for the confusion, it turns out you have to delete them yourself.

Brian, 

Thank you so very much for your valuable time. I have repaired all of my sequences and eliminated the error that I reported. 

One more question if you don't mind. 

When exporting I am using the legacy format. I noticed that the list element in the export is the number of controllers built. 

What is this number? For example, my porch sequence uses 2 universes and the export build 2 controllers

However, my chromahat and 2 trees, the one you saw last night, builds 36 controllers ??? 

Can you enlighten me on what this is ?? 

thanks 

Bob 

PS. Actually on the chromahat and trees it always seems to build 7200 smooth channels and 36 controllers. Not all of them build to these sizes. and some elements are larger 

Edited by bob_moody

If using LOR controllers each unit ID will be considered a controller. When building DMX stuff you I think that each Universe is considered to be a controller, I would have to look it up in the code to see exactly what it means. But don't worry about it, the main purpose of that dialog box is just to show you that the export is being built and to assure you that the computer has not hung while the export is being built.