Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches for Halloween

CovertRain

Hi guys.  I really have not seen anybody do this yet but this year I was really looking for an excuse to put up my new arches for Halloween.  I had the old school ones but replaced them this year with CCR versions.  I know typically they are used for Christmas displays but honestly I was a little excited to test them but then again really didn't want to take them down after they were setup.

So, I decided to dress them up for Halloween.  Something like I said I really have not seen.  What I did is dress them up as ghosts.  Basically using this as an opportunity to experiment with material, effects and design.  Because this was an experiment I used some super cheap dollar store shower curtains to dress them up.  I have already learned so much.  For example, the material on those cheap ones is a little too thin.  So, next year I will replace these with the thicker shower curtain material.  I think what it will do is allow for a better glow effect (throughout the material vs it shining through) and if I decide to add some decorative eyes and mouth it will either allow me to pain them on or maybe they show up better.  Also, it can get windy where I am at at the cheap material doesn't stand up well to the wind.  Last but not least, when dressing up the arches I learned it's better not to get too fancy with the FX.  Basically sticking to mostly changes ARCH colors together and chase entire arch by arch for example looks better verses the fancier FX you would use for Christmas.

Here is a picture of what I did.  If anybody has experimented with dressing up their arches or has any suggestions I am open but wanted to share.  If anybody is interested I can try and get a snapshot of what these look like lit up at night.

P.S.  This is only my second year putting up my LOR Halloween display so it's a learning experience.  Throwing programming CCRs for the first time has been an adventure.

GhostArches.png

Edited by CovertRain

I put mine out and also have fabric in the arches like yourself that looks like purplish spider web.  Looks pretty cool during the day but at night its hard to see.  I posted a video in the My Halloween Setup forum if interested.

3 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I put mine out and also have fabric in the arches like yourself that looks like purplish spider web.  Looks pretty cool during the day but at night its hard to see.  I posted a video in the My Halloween Setup forum if interested.

I am always interested in the cool ideas everyone comes up with here.  Appreciate it.

I ran mine straight horizontally in my trees and use them as simulated lightening flashes etc. I supplement them with flood strobes as Lightening flash's over my grave yard scene

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So, I know I am WAY late to the discussion... But I LOVE this idea... I'm really wanting to try it for this coming year now!! 

Circles are much cooler and can be used for every holiday and even used as arches in sequencing.

I have retired my arches and using the parts for other props.

JR

On 2/16/2018 at 3:18 PM, dibblejr said:

Circles are much cooler and can be used for every holiday and even used as arches in sequencing.

I have retired my arches and using the parts for other props.

JR

In my yard I don't have room for circles, & so arches work for me. On the other hand a person can have both. Circles in my ash tree might look cool.

23 minutes ago, lightzilla said:

In my yard I don't have room for circles, & so arches work for me. On the other hand a person can have both. Circles in my ash tree might look cool.

I was hoping to suspend mine on the zip line however the gen 1 pixie 16's didn't allow the necessary reach needed. I had no way to suspend the controller. The circles were a very last minute addition with only a few days before Halloween. I didn't have a plan. This year they will be in the air and along my driveway.

JR

6 hours ago, lightzilla said:

Hey Scott,

My circles are 2ft in diameter and I was able to get 50 pixel nodes on each. I am running 4 circles that go across my sidewalk.

So very very small for a circle but whats neat about them is that I can use as an arch or circle.

Edited by gsmith37064

I have (8) coro circles with 16 pixels each......stole idea from Boyd. Have them lining my garage door opening. Can get some pretty cool effects.