Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 Set Up in LOR?

zvacman

I am having a problem getting LOR to control any pixels beyond output 1-1 on my E682. I have all of the channels setup in the sequence editor but the pixels won't react to a quick simple sequence. I'm sure I'm doing something simply stupid but I don't know what.

Z

I have helped many people get E682s working. I should be able to help you out. PM me a phone number and what times work for for you today or tomorrow, and I'll give you a call.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Jim, thanks for the offer and I'll probably take you up on it.  Here's where I stand at this moment. One of my E682 controllers is also using the 5 volt output to power my router. I can connect either controller to the router and bring up the controller setup page. If I have two controllers connected to the router I can't bring up the setup page for either one. The test feature drives the pixels on both controllers but nothing from the sequence editor (and what sucks is I had it working last Sunday).  I screwed something up while trying to assign outputs to specific universes.  Also I have taken the router out of the equation for testing purposes and to eliminate the router as the culprit.  I will need to get the router back into the setup because I am trying to run 3 E682s. Hopefully this added info will help.

Thanks, Z

OK, as some others here will attest, I'm pretty good with the networking part.  A couple things that may help.  i have some suspicions about your router, but I'll get to that shortly.  Do you have a separate IP address assigned for each E682?  When you are not able to bring up the E682 setup page, can you ping each E682?  Is your router designed to operate on 5 volts?  Does the router appear to actually power up from the E682?

I want to clarify a couple things about your "router".  Is it really a router, or is it a switch?  For our purposes, what you need is a switch and no router functions.  Most of the rest of this paragraph assumes it's really a router (they are far more common in the consumer world).  If it really is a common consumer type router, you are in luck because that really is a router, and a switch on one board.  If you do it right, you can have it function as a switch and ignore the router part.  For this discussion I will assume it's a typical consumer type router with one WAN (or "internet") port and four LAN ports.  It may also have WiFi (which I assume you are not using for the purpose).  From a functional standpoint, this is really a two port router, and a five port (six port if there is WiFi) switch.  One port of the router goes to the WAN port, and the other router port goes to one port of the switch.  Four ports of the switch connect to the four LAN ports on the back of the box.  If there is WiFi, that is connected to a sixth port of the switch.  For our purposes, we only need the switch, and can disable the WiFi and most of the router functionality.  You will plug all of the cables you are using to the LAN ports and NOT use the WAN port at all.  You should be able to disable the WiFi if it's there, and you can disable the DHCP server functionality in the router.  I would set an IP address for the LAN side of the router in the same subnet as your E1.31 equipment as it can come in handy for troubleshooting.

If it really is a switch and not a router, you can ignore most of the above paragraph.

Jim:

Router was the wrong term, it is an 8 port gigabit switch. It powers up fine, the transformer that I cut off of the cord said 5vdc. I can access the setup page of all of my controllers when plugged into the switch one at a time. The test feature drives the pixels on all controllers as well. I cannot drive pixels from the sequencer with any of my controllers, with or without going through the switch. Each E682 has been assigned its own IP address. I had my mega wreath working last weekend, my problems began when I tried to add more pixels for other elements on different outputs using different universe numbers. One of my E682s is dedicated to my matrix using 7 outputs, spread over 7 universes with 100 pixels each. That tested fine this summer when I built it but I'll have to see what happens when I get it out of storage. Does this help clarify further where I'm at?

Z

Yes, that does help.  Great on the switch.  You might want to include a link for the switch as I'm sure someone else will need one someday...  Most of them don't work on 5 volts so having a switch that runs on 5 volts is useful to know about...

Definitely sounds like a config mismatch between LOR and the controllers.  Should not be too hard to figure out.  Much easier if it gets very involved to do it over the phone rather than back and forth E-Mails or forum posts.  A couple questions to start off.

Are you using Unicast or multicast?

Do you know how to setup a continuous ping on your computer?  If so, start with one E682 plugged in and start a continuous ping to it.  Confirm that the E682 you are testing is really what is responding by unplugging it and watching the pings fail.  Then plug it back and after it boots, confirm the pings start working again.  Then plug in a second E682 into the switch.  Does the pings continue to work or do they start failing?

I have the computer skills of a caveman, so that's a BIG no on the ping. I'm running 10 and can barely figure out how to turn it on.  I won't get home until 7-7:30 Eastern time tonight.  Let know if you'll be able to talk after that and until what time.  I've still got your numbers from the last time you helped me.

Thanks Z

I officially get off work at 5:00 PM Pacific time, and will be staying at work for a while to solder up another E682 (better tools at work).  You can call any time after that.

51 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

how do you have your outputs on the E682 setup

I have number 207 set as follows:

1 output, 1804/2811, 100 pixels, group size 1, RGB, universe 8, channel 1. It's set for my first 100 pixel mega wreath and worked fine, I sequenced a whole song with it. Everything went to crap when I went in to add my second mega wreath. Now the only way I can make the pixels light is in test mode. For that reason I have eliminated the Ethernet switch or any other connection wire as the culprit.

Z

Ok problem may have just gotten worse or better maybe?? I switched the E682 over to unicast and it's driving the lights. Here's why it could be worse. My RGB E1.31 to DMX switch only works with multicast.

Z

3 hours ago, zvacman said:

Ok problem may have just gotten worse or better maybe?? I switched the E682 over to unicast and it's driving the lights. Here's why it could be worse. My RGB E1.31 to DMX switch only works with multicast.

Z

There is absolutely no requirement to run your E682s in the same mode as your E1.31 to DMX switch (as far as unicast vs multicast).  In the LOR network preferences, each universe is set individually.  So for example if your E1.31 to DMX switch is on universe 1 and must be multi-cast, and your E682s are carrying universes 10 - 40, they can be set to uni-cast - no problem.  The only requirement for consistency is that each E682 card MUST be all uni-cast or all multi-cast for that card.  However different cards can be different.  Does not matter.  There is a setting on the setup page for the E682 that selects Multi-cast or Uni-cast for that card.  Personally I'm a networking guy and prefer uni-cast.  All of my E6804 and E682 cards are setup for uni-cast.  BTW, just built a 4th E682 this evening and it worked the first time!

One more thing to avoid any confusion.  If the controller card (any type) is set for uni-cast, then the LOR network preferences for the universes used by that card MUST be uni-cast.  Similarly, if the controller card is set for multi-cast, then the LOR network preferences for the universes used by that card MUST be multi-cast.  In other, the sender (LOR) and the receiver (controller card) MUST match for each universe.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for everyone's help, and comments. Congrats on the controller Jim, my last one was a success on the first try too. It's a good feeling to solder a bag full of stuff to a board and have it work first try. I've got the stuff to build two more in the shop but won't need them until next year.

Z

GREEEEEAAAAAT!!!!!!  New problem just popped up. Let me start with being perfectly clear SAME CONTROLLER, SAME OUTPUT, SAME CORD. My mega wreath works perfectly, the PVC pipes with 107 pixels mounted to them work perfectly. Made another section with the same pixels and it glows red very dim. Tried 5 more strings and they all behave the same way.  Very very dim red glow. I'm losing my mind, HELP please.

Z

9 hours ago, zvacman said:

GREEEEEAAAAAT!!!!!!  New problem just popped up. Let me start with being perfectly clear SAME CONTROLLER, SAME OUTPUT, SAME CORD. My mega wreath works perfectly, the PVC pipes with 107 pixels mounted to them work perfectly. Made another section with the same pixels and it glows red very dim. Tried 5 more strings and they all behave the same way.  Very very dim red glow. I'm losing my mind, HELP please.

Z

The glowing red is usually a sign that the voltage is too high.

• The topic was locked