Light-O-Rama Forums

Ultimate SPT-1 Wiring Cart

scodavis

Hello friends,

For those who do a lot of SPT-1 wiring, you may be interested in the cart we just created and are using for Santa Claus Lane in Clovis, California, which this year will feature over 160,000 lights on 16 houses, all synchronized to music thanks to Light-O-Rama software and hardware.

The bottom row has four spools on one side (great for RWBG super string wiring) and a single spool for other features.  The middle row also has four spools.  Finally, the top rack has plenty of room for tools as well as two boxes for the female and male SPT-1 plugs.  The thick PVC for the bottom row spools is held in place by a combination of plywood on the sides and heavy wire in the middle.  The middle wooden rod is suspended with metal plumber's tape that has holes for strapping things like water heaters.  The cart rolls pretty easily and will REALLY come in handy, considering this year Santa Claus Lane is adding 82 RWBG mini trees as well as several other features.

I invite you to ask questions about how this cart is built if you have any and, if you have devised your own ways of handling multiple SPT-1 spools, please reply and share them!  Thanks for looking!

scl_toolcart.jpg

• Like 4

We use those same metal racks in our garage for storage. They're really nice and solid. This is a great idea. I can imagine the garage door rolling up and you wheeling this out, and the neighbors looking out the window say to themselves "It's time." Lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Who pays for the 1000.00 worth of spooled wire? We all noticed that, right?

You do!

Did you not receive the Paypal invoice?

hmmmm....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I would think it's a group effort...there are 16 houses all tied together after all....just think of the controllers needed there! 

Sure wish we had cross country rail here in the USA. Would love to swing by and check it out. But I will have to wait for all the videos.

You guys are awesome!

@Need more lights is correct - it is very much a group effort.  I believe this year, between all sixteen houses, there is a total of over 7 MILES of SPT-1 cord.  If I remember correctly 2 miles were added this year just for the new mini trees.  You're also correct about the controllers.  The main control house has 19 controllers running (I believe), and every other house has two controllers - eight channels for the upper and lower eaves, and the remaining 24 channels for the six mini trees.  One of the houses has a singing snowman so they actually have a third controller there.  So I think it is 50 controllers total but I might be off by a couple.

@gsmith37064 - we filmed a bunch of the songs from both the ground and air and I'm working on the video editing right now - there should be some video available in the next few weeks.  It really is a beautiful display and I'm proud to be a part of it.  In the meantime, though, be sure to check out the trailer if you haven't already:

Santa Claus Lane 2016 Trailer

Edited by scodavis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

LOL- that wasnt all of it- there was more! we ran out ans ordered 3 more 1000ft rolls and ran out again...this year we ordered 15 rolls and still had to buy 500 ft extra at Lowes...YES we are crazy!   We also ordered almost $10,000 worth of lights for mostly the 82 4-color mini trees.  We became a nonprofit organization- 501(c)3 so we take donations and that covers our costs.  Opening night we had over 7000 people show up- it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

On 10/22/2016 at 7:36 PM, LightsWithSoul said:

We use those same metal racks in our garage for storage. They're really nice and solid. This is a great idea. I can imagine the garage door rolling up and you wheeling this out, and the neighbors looking out the window say to themselves "It's time." Lol

Sounds like a good commercial idea to publicize the show even more...