Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting RGB Power Supply Before LOR Show- How To?

JeffreyJMoore

Greetings,

I have been using a LOR animation sequence for a number of years that is an hour long and then loops back to the beginning and repeats for the entire evening.  I use the Schedule Editor to start and stop the sequence that runs for a number of hours.  This year I have added a number of Holiday Coro RGB stars to my display.  I have assembled a solid state relay control for the 12vdc RGB power supply to allow LOR on/off power supply control.  I would like to turn the RGB power supply on a minute or so before the LOR animation sequence starts.  I have thought about a separate plug-in wall timer, but with all the high tech LOR control, that option seems clunky.  As far as I can tell a background LOR sequence for just the power supply starts at the same time as the animation sequence.  Will the Schedule Editor start two separate shows, one for the animation sequence and one for the power supply, at nearly the same time?  Is there something better that I have not thought of?  Many Thanks.

Assign a channel to the relay that will stay on for all of your songs.  Just like you would for a sign that tells people what station to tune in to.

Why not just leave it on? Keeping it at a higher temperature will stop condensation forming, if you are in a colder area.

Have you ever seen a power supply fail while turned on? They only ever fail being turned off or on.

+1 on just leave them on. The power supplies for my year round stuff is powered 24x7x365. The auto for the GECE lights in the eves was powered up last Sunday (those get used for Halloween), and will stay powered until early January. The rest of the Christmas stuff will be powered up in early November, and stay on until early January.

The only thing I have that gets powered off is the amplifiers for the speakers in the yard. Those are powered by a relay that is controlled by a LOR channel . That way the speakers are shut off by the show at about 9:00 PM.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

Damn auto-spelling correction. The second line was supposed to start: The power supply for the GECE lights.. .

Not sure how it thought that change made sense.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all those who replied to my call for help.  Last weekend I had a chance to, for the first time, hook all the stars to the power supply and check out the operation of the programming, power supply and stars.  I must say, I'm now hooked on RGB lighting, maybe not to replace all my incandescent mini lights but certainly to complement them.  I sat in a dark garage watching the whole hour of programmed color fades and was pleasantly suprised by the by un-programmed colors created between color fades.  Anyway, I also hooked up a Kill-a-watt and measured the power during full on and idle.  I have decided to leave the power supply on all the time because the idle power draw is just 5 watts.  Thanks again to all those who replied.

Jeff. 

• The topic was locked