Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 Director

lanopie

I don't know if this has been asked before, Is there any chance that the G3-MP3 Director be upgraded to be able to play videos instead of using a PC?

It's crunch time...

Thanks!

I'd suspect it'd require more than a simple firmware upgrade. In fact, I'd be surprised if the card that the ability to do it, even with a firmware update.

Maybe some developer might look into this.  I would think it would have to be a new unit since it would have a video output.

Something to think about...

It gets to a point where a cheap desktop will work as well, if not better than a souped up MP3 Director.

I have used the MP3 directors (old a new ones) for years.  This is the first year where my display will be run off of a PC - needed for the Network connections to the RGB controllers.

I know a PC will do just fine, I used to use a PC and when I was away from home I would have to turn on the PC before I leave and leave it on all day, added cost, and if we had an outage the PC would not come back up to start the show.  The director always has the time and will always boot up properly even after a power outage, less worries.

There are several ways to make a PC boot up at a specific time. Same thing with a shutdown at a specific time. Personally, my show runs 24x7x365. It does a scheduled re-boot every day shortly before show time.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

On most motherboards you can set your computer to turn on automatically at a certain time, you can also have it set to turn back on after a power outage another setting in the bios (which could be damaging if you have power flickering on and off a ton of times.) I recommend a ups unit to make sure you pc stays on for a power failure. I have mine set to turn on at 1pm via the wake on RTC setting in the bios, and I have light o rama set to turn the computer off at 1am. Using a blank sequence with the shell command of "shutdown -s -t 60"   

Edited by TitusCarnathan

I will look into this, I do have a UPS but it's not going to keep the PC up and running for a long period of time.  A stand-by generator would be nice...:)