Light-O-Rama Forums

Will fog machines affect controllers?

oilmoney

Hi, I am thinking about placing a fog machine next to some controllers. It will be semi enclosed so there will be a concentrated amount of fog in the area. I am planning on putting it in the base of my psychotic tree ( that's what I call it ) Has anyone run into any concerns in regards to whether the fog is potentially bad for electronics?

Yes, the fog machines produce a vapor that would collect on anything in the immediate area. It's a glycerin substance that doesn't just evaporate. And, they produce heat so having one enclosed with a controller would not be a good thing IMO

Yes I do commercial sound and lighting and fog residue is very messy.  Even used for short periods, piano's, keyboards and amps are covered with a sticky mess.

The more watery fluid leaves less mess.

I have never had the problem with my own smoke machine, but I have with others and other fluid.

It only forms on very close things though, and it wipes off with a damp cloth.

Smoke machines are tough. They can be stuck in a crate with a hole cut in it, and last fine, as long as they are powered 24/7 to stop fluid freezing inside, and also, if it is very cold or windy, they will cool down fast outside.

• 3 months later...

I use a cheap Gemmy fog machine outside my front door during Halloween, with a home-made fog chiller (ice in a cooler).

The first couple of years I did this, enough fog came in through the front door when we greeted the trick-or-treaters that it triggered our fire alarm! Since then, I learned to tape a plastic bag around the smoke detector in the hallway while the fog machine is being used.