Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching Strips to Tile Ridge Line

ShaggySS

I need to add more lights and I couldn't figure out any place to add them until it hit me.  Add them to the roof lines.  I think the ridge would be too difficult but what about right along the ridge peak.  I can't quite figure out how to attach them.  Typically I attach my lights to square steel tubes and just hang them from the eves but I am sorta stumped by this one.  Anyone else go to the Hardware Store and walk up and down every isle until it hits you?

My next 1000 words should help.  

ECisxBO.jpg

Red is existing.  Yellow is what I am thinking of adding.

Dpw5dDz.jpg

Got any creative suggestions on what to add I would love to hear them.  

What I did for my ridges was using 1x4 inch boards cut to lengths needed or multiple boards per run if its a long run. my longest run uses 5 boards at 8 foot each. Anyway I drilled a hole every 5 inches and inserted the bullet style pixels and stapled the wire to the back side of the board. After I drilled the holes in the boards I painted them to seal them and also color match them to the tile. Putting them up every year is so much faster than the method I used before for the ridges. To hold the boards to the tiles I cut up wire hangers and bent them into various shapes to fit around the wood and under the tile. If you are interested I can take some pictures and post them. Here is a picture of what it looked like in 2013

My House 2013.jpg

I use Vinyl "F" and "J" Channel for mine. (These are generally used for edges for siding)  Then I use shingle hooks to attach them to my roof peaks.  I also slide them under my eaves as well.  The eaves stay up all year for accent lighting for the different holidays through out the year.  My pics are a little hard to see, but around the 7:08 mark in the video I show how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY

Strip-Light-2.jpgStrip-Light-3.jpg

Here's some more photos to look at to get some ideas. Everybody's house and personal taste is unique you will have to make some decisions on how you want to accomplish this. The most people attach their strips to something like j-channel or half inch PVC then Mount them to the house in some fashion that doesn't do damage.https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwDgEpqsgNhfVzhyVVJ1YnBRODA  maybe some close up photos of your Ridgeline so we can give you some ideas how to attach.

Edited by Ebuechner

Thanks everyone.  This is great.  I need to look into those F\J channels.  are they rigid?  I am leaning towards EMT but concerned that they will be much more sustainable to the weather and might rust.....does it rust?  My wife would kill me if I had rust stains on the roof.  Even if I paint the outside water would go down the inside.  

For those using nodes why nodes over strips?  

The emt shouldn't rust, it's all galvanized. I did bulbs because strips make me think I'm at a concert or strip club lol

I have 3 peaks on the house, the main one has the metal roof cap on the top that the poles zip tie to. The other 2 I used tar and put a lag on the top of each peak. I did it for safety. I didn't want to chance any sections coming down off the roof on someone's head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAHA!!  Never thought of it that way.  I do Halloween mainly and my wife said the strips don't say christmas no matter what color I make them.  Maybe nodes are the answer for that.  1983ss454 (nice car btw)  Did you do standard nodes with the faceted cover?  

1 hour ago, ShaggySS said:

I don't currently have any lights on the ridge lines, but I do have GE Color Effects buibs on the eves.  Since I have over 500 GECE bulbs in stock looking for a job, I am planning on putting them to good use on the ridge lines - maybe next year...  I agree that for Christmas, the bulbs look better than strips.

2 hours ago, ShaggySS said:

I started out with strips and for my taste they were too bright and I didn't like the look. Changed to 12V square pixels.. Much prettier IMHO.

I hot glued the pixel nodes to PVC frames and I am much happier with the look.  A node will pop off once in a while but it takes a couple of seconds to re-glue it, after the gun warms up.

This will be their third year.

However getting the spacing right was tricky, ending up with a node in each corner and having an even distribution. So........if and when I have to do it again I would use the pixel strips to get the spacing spot on and then, to keep them rigid, I would zip tie them to the PVC.