Light-O-Rama Forums

Garage Door Interferance is back again

Bizywk

Has anyone else experienced LOR interference with Garage Door openers or have a way to resolve this issue?    All year long, I am trouble free until I plug in my controllers, then problem returns - only to disappear again once the controllers are pulled in for storage.  Every year with predictability, I see significantly shortened distances on my garage door opener remote as well as frequent latency on the push button.   The symptoms appear to occur whenever the controllers are powered up, regardless of whether a show is running or not. 

I suspect that there is some kind of interference being backfed from the controllers back through the power lines and redistributed through the circuit breaker box because my garage doors aren't even on the same circuit.  Any ideas?

After extensive testing last year, I discovered the culprit. It's not the controllers, it's LEDs, particularly RGB LEDs. I unplugged one controller after another and nothing. When I unplugged the last one, Success. I ended up using a timer to turn on the power supplies 30 minutes prior to show-time and 30 minutes after, they turned off. Only problem I had was during showtime when everything was powered on.

I read afterwards not to use a LED bulb in the garage door motor either.

Edited by Ron Boyd
  • Like 1

+1 for the LED lights. Here is an article from a garage door company:

http://www.phoenixazgaragedoorrepair.com/garage-door-repair/1786/how-led-lights-can-cause-problems-with-your-garage-door-opener/garage-door-blog/

Garage door openers and led lights work in overlapping frequency ranges.

Edited by Mr. P

At one time we did have an issue with CCB/CCP causing noise on a harmonic of the frequency most garage door openers use.  We did fix that with a firmware update.  

FYI:  Beware many pixel products operate in the 400kHZ to 1Mhz SIGNAL speed range.  The harmonics of those frequencies can also cause problems with garage doors and etc.  

Remember that a long wire is nothing more than a LONG ANTENNA when it comes to RFI.

I've said it before:  RF is VOODOO (and by default RFI can therefore only be understood by god himself :P)

On 10/17/2016 at 1:49 PM, DevMike said:

At one time we did have an issue with CCB/CCP causing noise on a harmonic of the frequency most garage door openers use.  We did fix that with a firmware update.  

FYI:  Beware many pixel products operate in the 400kHZ to 1Mhz SIGNAL speed range.  The harmonics of those frequencies can also cause problems with garage doors and etc.  

Remember that a long wire is nothing more than a LONG ANTENNA when it comes to RFI.

I've said it before:  RF is VOODOO (and by default RFI can therefore only be understood by god himself :P)

I'm running  CTBPC16 as well as a CMB24D both behind the same ELL.  I just pulled up my driveway, all of my halloween lights were functioning, but as soon as I used my garage door opener, the dumb ribbons started flashing red and the lights off the PC16 all turned off.  I had to power cycle both controllers to reset everything to get them to function again.

Is there a recommended frequency we should use to avoid them or just try 1 after another?

• The topic was locked