Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Editor Dimming Curves

MattBrown

Some pixel controllers (like the CCR) have dimming curves built-in, some do not, and on others it may be configurable but not enabled by default. On effects like bars and spiral with the "3D" box checked, you should see a smooth fade out. If not, you might want to experiment with Pixel Editor's dimming curve capability.

In the Pixel Editor, dimming curves are set on the Prop Definition screen (see attached image). There are 3 choices by default:

1) "None" - the default and a good choice if your pixel controller already implements a dimming curve

2) "PixelCurve" for RGB pixels. This is a good choice 

3) "StrobeCurve" is for strobes and other display elements that only have 2 modes: off or full on.

The dimming curves are actually simple XML files stored in the \Light-O-Rama\PixelEditor\Curves folder; which makes it easy to add more or create your own!

If you don't see PixelCurve or StrobeCurve in the Dimming Curve drop-down selection, I have attached them as "PE-Original-Dimming-Curves.zip". Download the file, unzip it, and place the 2 XML files in the \Light-O-Rama\PixelEditor\Curves folder.

In addition, I have created some new dimming curves (in the "PE-More-Dimming-Curves.zip" attachment):

* Linear curves 50% - 90%, Use these curves if your controller already has a dimming curve, but you want to tone down the maximum brightness of your pixels. 

* Pixel curves 50% - 90%, Use these curves if you were already using the PixelCurve, but you want to tone down the maximum brightness of your pixels.

To decide which curve is best will take some testing with real pixels - choose the one that looks best with your lights. Any time you change the dimming curve on a prop and save the updated preview, you will need to reopen each sequence and perform a new File > Save Intensity Data to update your show.

Enjoy!

Dimming Curve.png

PE-More-Dimming-Curves.zip

PE-Original-Dimming-Curves.zip

4 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

2) "PixelCurve" for RGB pixels. This is a good choice 

I meant to say:

2) "PixelCurve" for RGB pixels. This is a good choice if you pixel controller doesn't support dimming curves.

• 3 months later...

Matt (or anyone):

In your Oct 15, 2016 post above you mention that CCRs have built in dimming curves. I can't find any reference as to how to implement the built in curves. All I want to do is to reduce the overall light levels of my CCRs. I am still using some of the original Gen 1 CCRs. I continue to sequence them in SE because there are times that I want them to do things that I can't do in PE. Is there any way to easily reduce the overall levels under these circumstances? Thanks. Jim

In SE, select an area, then right-click and select Change Intensities > Detailed from the pop-up menu. Set the operation to "Cap", then set the max intensity you want.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so, I have been using none, but now I am wondering what switching to PixelCurve would do for me.  I can't find any reference to whether my Advatek Pixlite Controllers have the built in curve or not.

33 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

Ok, so, I have been using none, but now I am wondering what switching to PixelCurve would do for me.  I can't find any reference to whether my Advatek Pixlite Controllers have the built in curve or not.

The best way is to try them both out using your own controllers and lights and decide which looks best to you.

1) With no sequence open, select Tools > Effect Generator. Select the Preview and Prop you want to test on the right side. Select the bars effect and 2 or 3 colors, and most importantly, check the "Show 3D" box. Do you get a nice smooth change from almost off to full on as the bars move?

2) Close the Effect Generator, and select Tools > Manage Previews. Double-click on the desired preview to open it, then double click on the prop name you are testing on the left to open the Prop Definition window. Change the dimming curve. Save the prop and the preview.

3) Retest in the Effect Generator using the same effect settings that you chose in step #1. Do the changes from almost off to full on look better or worse?

Matt

The best way is to try them both out using your own controllers and lights and decide which looks best to you.
1) With no sequence open, select Tools > Effect Generator. Select the Preview and Prop you want to test on the right side. Select the bars effect and 2 or 3 colors, and most importantly, check the "Show 3D" box. Do you get a nice smooth change from almost off to full on as the bars move?
2) Close the Effect Generator, and select Tools > Manage Previews. Double-click on the desired preview to open it, then double click on the prop name you are testing on the left to open the Prop Definition window. Change the dimming curve. Save the prop and the preview.
3) Retest in the Effect Generator using the same effect settings that you chose in step #1. Do the changes from almost off to full on look better or worse?
Matt

I will try it out, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention that to get that in order to control lights from the Pixel Editor you must:

1) Have the LOR Control Panel loaded (red light bulb in the system tray)

2) Select Tools > Control Lights from the Pixel Editor menu.

Now you can run the tests I mentioned above.

Matt

• 1 month later...

Looking at the sample dimming curves it looks like it a simple mapping of the 256 possible values to different values.

It looks like this is for total intensity.  A problem that I'm trying to solve is managing power with pixels.  Basically I don't have enough power to run full white at 100% intensity.  I can limit the intensity but my understanding is that limits intensity for everything.  So for example if I limit intensity to 50% so white works, red will be limited to 50% as well. My wife wants to be run the individual colors at higher intensities.  Ideally this can be as setting versus having to manage at the sequence level.

arnold

That is something you will have to manage manually as you choose effects. The software can't help you in that scenario.

Matt