Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio Troubles! please help!

Quiksand

I am having issues with the volume of my Audio. I have two small indoor speakers posted in the soffit area in my attic. I am running the audio thru 3.5mm audio jack. I have changed all the loudness and equalization. These speakers are loud when hooked to other sources. 

I'm assuming this isn't the most efficient or best way to push audio but is currently my only option. Am I missing anything? Should I be doing something else?

Hi Quiksand.   Are these computer speakers?   Or hooked to an amplifier?

Are you using the PC mixer board?  This allows you to set the volume by the program.   Right click the little speaker in the tray. 

mixer.jpg

When your show is playing, it is important to use the mixer board to mute the sound of all programs other than LORmonitor.exe to keep stay popups or whatever from making sounds heard on your speakers.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Bob Thanks for the reply. 

The speakers are an old set of indoor home audio CD player system that I had stored away in the garage. I tested them with my home receiver and they sounded just fine.

I do not have amp hooked up, I considered this may be one of my volume issues. What I have is a 3.5MM headphone jack wire spliced to speaker wire and run thru my attic.

All system Apps have been  muted to prevent any unwanted sound or interference. 

My theory is that my computer just cant push a very loud volume to the speakers without some amplification. The Max computer speaker or headset volume is deafening when isolated to your ears but when playing in the open the sound is distributed more widely and has a lower volume.

The problem is your wiring.  The PC puts out very low power signal.   Wiring the 3.5 jack to speaker wire is not going to work.   A $10-15 PC speaker with internal small amp (plugs in wall) with an 3.5mm extention would work much better if you can do it. 

Or maybe you can run the pc3.5 to the home receiver.  You might need to wire the 3.5 to RCA  red white. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

sounds like it needs an amp, i run 3.5m headphone jack split to rca to the AUX of a Sony Stereo.  if you are just going from the 3.5m jack direct to the speaker that would be your problem with the low sound

Well I am running short on solutions. 

I have just tested running the computer to my home receiver with the 3.5mm jack and I am still getting low audio.

- I took an RCA and split with the audio jack and ran that into one of my Home Stereo inputs. Results were louder audio but maxed out I could barely hear it mid way down my driveway. 

I was hoping to make use of what I had for this season but It looks like im going to have to purchase a set of PC speakers with an internal amp as recommended by Bob. 

I hear an FM transmitter or blue tooth speaker calling my name for next season. 

- I just attempted a phono pre amp that I have from a record player and it works better but only if Audio is being pushed to one speaker. 

- Also attempted a second computer for the my sanity same results. 

** Store time. 

A phono preamp will not give good results. It is a low level device designed for the VERY low signal levels that come out of a Phono cartridge. It will distort and is Equalized to the RIAA phono curve to match the EQ curve on a vinyl record. You need a LINE Level preamp or amp for Line Level devices.

Ahhh brings back memories of disc cleaning, antistatic guns, and endless cartridge adjustments, hiss,  pop and crackle.

Kinda miss all that.............NOT

Edited by PhilMassey

I run my laptop connected to my hi fi amplifier and the hi fi speakers but still struggle to get the required volume outside. I am looking at a pa ststem this year. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0118KJFMY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza.   Hoping this cures my problem.  

it could be the rating/ input of your speakers. Just maybe they need more input then your computer is sending to them.

Check to see what the impedance of them is. Input is directly related to how much out put you are going to be getting from them.

Kinda like trying to drive a Ferrari with a Volkswagen engine it it.

there is very reasonable fm transmitters you can get but be careful of the one on the LOR site.. It is not that good and many have tried it just to be getting a different one.  One of the recommended ones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-5-W-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-FM-Transmitter-FS-CZH-05B-Dual-Mode-w-RCA-Inputs-/131961539061?hash=item1eb98549f5:g:DZgAAOSwpLNX9aVB

it is what many of use use and is very easy to set up and use. Just remember to make sure you have your antenna connected before powering it on. I am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PDWR50W-6-5-Inch-Waterproof-Speakers/dp/B000NJFPSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476620449&sr=8-1&keywords=pyle+outdoor+speakers.  

These are the speakers that I use mounted outside. (I use outdoor speakers and an FM transmitter) From your original post it's unclear if you have the speakers inside or outside of your attic if they're mounted inside that's most of your problem. Transmitting Sound Outside takes more power than inside you would need an outdoor set of speakers mounted outside pointed at the audience, With a reasonable size amplifier to hook up to your computer, when doing this your volume will be set louder then what you would think you need to hear it outside.

1 you will need Amplified speakers.

2 you will need to mount them outside someplace. 

3 you will need to turn them up louder than you would if they were inside.

4 you may get more for your money with a FM transmitter and a tune to sign. 

First, Thank you all for the guidance. 

I have found a temporary fix for halloween. It's seems to hold up. Ryobi makes a decent bluetooth work radio that will bail me out until I order the fm transmitter. 

As Enuechner said I'm going to get more for my money with the fm transmitter and a set of outdoor speakers. 

I'm going to go ahead and order the transmitter that you recommended Sarge 

Again, thank you all. 

1 hour ago, Quiksand said:

First, Thank you all for the guidance. 

I have found a temporary fix for halloween. It's seems to hold up. Ryobi makes a decent bluetooth work radio that will bail me out until I order the fm transmitter. 

As Enuechner said I'm going to get more for my money with the fm transmitter and a set of outdoor speakers. 

I'm going to go ahead and order the transmitter that you recommended Sarge 

Again, thank you all. 

That's the exact transmitter that I use but I don't know if I would buy the one in that link it's an open box item coming from eBay. Don't quote me on this but I think I paid less for mine brand new through Amazon (edit) on Amazon it's $105 but the price difference might be worth it to get in brand new unopened unit.0.5 W Fail-Safe Long Range FM Transmitter - FS CZH-05B - Newly Revised: Dual Mode now with RCA Inputs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XK5aybD4NNVB6

Edited by Ebuechner

31 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

That's the exact transmitter that I use but I don't know if I would buy the one in that link it's an open box item coming from eBay. Don't quote me on this but I think I paid less for mine brand new through Amazon (edit) on Amazon it's $105 but the price difference might be worth it to get in brand new unopened unit.0.5 W Fail-Safe Long Range FM Transmitter - FS CZH-05B - Newly Revised: Dual Mode now with RCA Inputs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XK5aybD4NNVB6

No need to spend that much money. The ones on Amazon are all pretty much the same just branded different.

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Broadcast-Transmitter-Antenna-Fashion/dp/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1476632396&sr=1-3&keywords=whole+house+fm+transmitter

Make sure that whichever CZH-xxx model you buy you get one with the rubber ducky antenna.

Avoid the telescoping antenna and the single-wire antenna. 

The rubber ducky antenna is all you need to greatly exceed FCC regs - no need to even think of using any more antenna than that.

Edited by George Simmons

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

The rubber ducky antenna is all you need to greatly exceed FCC regs - no need to even think of using any more antenna than that.

Unless your transmitter is inside a steel, concrete, and brick box (which mine is).  That's why I built a real antenna last year.  To keep the range down, I have a 6dB attenuator between the transmitter and the antenna.

http://newburghlights.org/Technical.html  Starting about half way down the page.

As far as your audio problems go, as stated before, the line output from your computer is very low level and can't drive speakers directly.  There needs to be an amplifier somewhere - generally either a stand alone amplifier, or speakers with amplifiers built into them (normal for "computer speakers").  In my case, I have the computer output going through a sound mixer, with two outputs.  One stereo output goes to my FM transmitter, and the second stereo output goes to two 75 watt per channel stereo amplifiers.  The four amplifier outputs each drive a permanently installed outdoor speaker in the front yard.

BTW, I have written in substantial detail how my rather complex audio setup is done here on the forum.  Would there be interest in my creating a page on my website to explain it?

Just do it the Hillbilly way, connect the fm transmitter to your computer then go park the truck out by the street with the radio on and the doors open. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Just do it the Hillbilly way, connect the fm transmitter to your computer then go park the truck out by the street with the radio on and the doors open. :)

Hillbilly way requires the truck have a gun rack at least two dogs in the passenger seat and 3 kids in the back

3 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Hillbilly way requires the truck have a gun rack at least two dogs in the passenger seat and 3 kids in the back

Where does the beer go?