Light-O-Rama Forums

PVC sticking

jrock_at_rons

I built a PVC spiral tree last year and it worked great (till the wind destroyed it).  I got it back up but when the season was over, my collapsible tree did not want to come apart. 

The PVC (3/4") seems to be permanently stuck in the fittings.  I didn't cement them.  I went at one with my bench clamp and a channel lock last night and I'll be damned if I can get it to move at all. 

That being said, I've built two new trees for this years display and I want to prevent this from happening?  Is there anything I can use to make sure the tree comes apart in the future?  Vaseline? WD40?

Any suggestions/knowledge are appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Sand the ends.  Then use a set screw so they don't pull apart.  Then take the screw out when you take it down.

• Like 1

for the one still stuck together, did you try applying heat with a hair dryer or heat gun to the outer piece to see if it would loosen up?

54 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

for the one still stuck together, did you try applying heat with a hair dryer or heat gun to the outer piece to see if it would loosen up?

I'll try this tonight.  Not sure why I didn't think of that before.   Nothing like going through the effort of taking it down two weeks before setting it up again!

I'll try sanding the ends tonight as well   

Thanks guys. 

I used the same silicone gel that I use on the connectors for waterproofing when I put it together, then I drill a hole and use a 3/4"number 10 stainless steel wood screw. Sanding it can make it a little wobbly if you go too far. Sometimes taking these apart you need to run a hammer along the pipe towards the fitting hitting the edge of the fitting to knock it off. And like what was said above heat helps, if the fitting is warm when you hit it with a hammer it's less likely to shatter

I had a similar issues on some PVC stands I build for some props.  On the parts that were supported and I weren't wasn't about falling apart or the wind getting to them (cross braces & vertical pieces) I gave the ends a tiny shot of white lithium.

Seemed to pull apart just find after last season.  

Edited by sticks4legs

19 hours ago, sticks4legs said:

I had a similar issues on some PVC stands I build for some props.  On the parts that were supported and I weren't wasn't about falling apart or the wind getting to them (cross braces & vertical pieces) I gave the ends a tiny shot of white lithium.

Seemed to pull apart just find after last season.  

I'll try the white lithium.  I have them supported with wires and tie downs to negate the wind... its just pulling them apart after the season.

I did use the hammer to the edge of the piece and I was able to knock it off.  Not sure why I didn't think of that before.  

Thanks.