Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Flood Lights Delay

ShaggySS

I wanted to add some blinders to my halloween sequence and I like the white look of LED so I went with some cheap LED flood lights from amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB12HEG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one to test out and I plugged it in and it seemed to come on instantly and unplugged it and it went off so I bought 5 more.  I sequenced with them and I turn them on for .20 of a second and nothing....the next .20 a second later and some of them come on.  I have tried to turn them on sooner and that will get them to come on but if I use them again within a few seconds the lead time is less.  Moreover I can't seem to get them to work in unison.   They are hooked up to my LOR 120v controller. 

Any ideas?

Those are going through a circuitry board to convert from one volt (AC) to another (DC) not to mention stepping down the voltage to 120. There will be a delay no doubt.

You can hack them and go direct but then you would need a different controller.

3 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Those are going through a circuitry board to convert from one volt (AC) to another (DC) not to mention stepping down the voltage to 120. There will be a delay no doubt.

You can hack them and go direct but then you would need a different controller.

Sounds like it might have been cheaper, quicker, and easier to simply buy the RGB floods from LOR, plug them in, and zippo - away you go with zero issues.

No 120v setting but they work fine on 120v.  Not sure if it matter but I get full brightness out of them when my AC controller is only at 50%.  

I attempted to hack them last night but no joy.  I opened them up and found a 120v in and the red and black wire out the other end.  I hoooked that red and black to 12v power supply and no joy.  Not even a flicker.  Had I been more prepared I would have busted out my multi meter.

I have a LOR DC controller.  Any issues with these?  https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Light-3600LM-Degree-Off-road/dp/B00T8UY53Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1476191656&sr=8-6&keywords=36W+flood

Edited by ShaggySS

Just now, George Simmons said:

Sounds like it might have been cheaper, quicker, and easier to simply buy the RGB floods from LOR, plug them in, and zippo - away you go with zero issues.

Haha, I kept looking back at those last night and I agree I should have but now I missed the summer sale so I gotta wait until next year.  

2 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Seems like it always is!

6 hours ago, ShaggySS said:

No 120v setting but they work fine on 120v.  Not sure if it matter but I get full brightness out of them when my AC controller is only at 50%.  

I attempted to hack them last night but no joy.  I opened them up and found a 120v in and the red and black wire out the other end.  I hoooked that red and black to 12v power supply and no joy.  Not even a flicker.  Had I been more prepared I would have busted out my multi meter.

I have a LOR DC controller.  Any issues with these?  https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Light-3600LM-Degree-Off-road/dp/B00T8UY53Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1476191656&sr=8-6&keywords=36W+flood

So there is a little more to it than just opening it up and hooking a couple wires to it. Did you have the correct wires (polarity) hooked up? For DC, the wires can only be hooked up one way to work.

Here is a very informative page on hacking just in case. Enjoy.

6 hours ago, George Simmons said:

True, except for the cheaper part. The quicker and easier part could also apply to simply pay someone to put up our displays. But what fun would that be?. :P

Those off road flood lights I listed above coupled with a LOR DC controller worked perfectly.  I was a little worried about having the voltage needed since cars produce a higher amount of volts when running but even with a 75ft run on 18ga I had no issues.  Where is Craig to tell me the voltage drop of that?