Light-O-Rama Forums

Don't leave those controller housing holes open...

Santas Helper

So this is the result of one summer.

I noticed this as soon as I lifted the cover. Got the wasp spray and zapped em.

Luckly it was cool outside today. If I opened this housing cover a month ago, I would be running for the hills, LOL. :)

DSC08829_zpspuaxas7n.jpg

DSC08830_zpsdfk070v4.jpg

DSC08831_zpsvfsuyv0p.jpg

Edited by Santas Helper

Getting a head start on Halloween eh? What an ingenious system. All this time I thought we needed to plug something in to our controllers to make a display, little did I know we could just set out a controller and let the display come to us! Brilliant! :P

Looks like you've got a lot of wasp poop to clean off the cables and such.  Let us know if it tastes like honey.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Looks like you've got a lot of wasp poop to clean off the cables and such.  Let us know if it tastes like honey.

George, it had a bitter taste and chewy like beef jerky. :)

I prevent that with a very easy fix, I buy the spongey dark grey oam that is used to surround water pipes for insulation.  I then stuff that around my cat5 cable entry/exit port.    Has kept lizards, beetles, and especially "wasps" like that out of my controllers for years.

I buy a diameter that just snugly fits in the cat5 openings, I stuff it from the top one downward and from the bottom one upward around the cat5 cables, when stuffed it tightly seals any insect or vermin access points into the controller.  And the wasps don't seem to like the taste of this particular gray insulating foam, so they don't chew it to make their nests with either,    Been using this method for 5 years now and it's worked beautifully!

Memory foam works well also. 

Women don't particularly like it when the mattress has chunks missing, though.

28 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

Memory foam works well also. 

Women don't particularly like it when the mattress has chunks missing, though.

You got that right!  My wife was very upset when she rolled over and fell out of bed!

On 10/10/2016 at 1:38 PM, Santas Helper said:

Thanks Orville. I'll give it a try.

You're welcome.

Stuff really works great.  Seems like this grey insulating foam is really detested by the bugs and spiders!     Before I started using it, I tried yellow foam and other foam types, but the type that is used in most homes to insulate the PVC water lines is not very tasty to wasps, spiders, beetles, lizards, etc.    None I have ever used has ever been chewed on and it has held up very well in the Florida sweltering heat and even in freezing cold when we've had some freezes.   Even in both extremes it stayed pliable enough to be removed for removing or exchanging a cat5 cable if needed.     And thus far, I have had no creepy crawlies of any kind in any of my controllers using this particular foam.   And a 6' length of it only cost me $1.00!    That can do a lot of controllers because you really don't need much, just enough to go around the cat5 and seal them and the cat5 entry/exit ports securely.     I will always highly recommend this stuff for keeping out the creepy crawlies from a controller.

• 2 months later...
  • The topic was locked