Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobe Light Flashes

Dglass4321

Okay, I am in the final stages of my set up.  I've got 18 songs sequenced with 128 channels.  I'm now looking at strobe lights.  I think I've read enough about the xenon I tube being the best but can someone tell me how many flashes per second/minute give the best results?  I'm planning on using them on my 24' mega tree.  Another question is how do I keep the strobes from making the strings sag?  You've all been a great inspiration and I appreciate all the guidance.

If you have enough of them, the speed of the flashes aren't as important IMO but around 3 flashes per second is good for me.

For my 33' mega tree, I have a separate pulley just for the strobes. I hang all the mega tree light strands first. My strobes are fabricated with three strings 35' long or so and all three connected together at one end with a clip attached. Each strobe has a pigtail of about 6" of SPT wire connected to the main strobe strands. I raise the strobe strands to the top and wrap each strobe strand around a couple light strands in different areas of the mega tree. So I have a strand of strobes covering the front area and the other two strobe strands wrapped around light strands on each side of the mega tree.

In short, I use the mega tree light strands to support the strobe strands.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input.  What you are doing is kind of what I had in mind.  My other option was to add a strobe strand to each of my 16 sections.  I'm also using a pulley system to raise the individual strands.  Do you just anchor your strands to the ground or do you have a circular structure at the base and anchor to that?  I'm still working on that!  Again, thanks for the help.

I do the same thing Santas Helper does as he inspired me. However his is a 33ft tower tree and mine is only 20ft pole tree.  We both use super strands supported with air craft type cables. The super strands are C6 LEDs with individual RWBG light strands twisted on the support cable. Keeps the weight of the light strands themselves and no sagging, especially when we have ice storms. Tom's super strands go to individual anchors. Mine go to a round pvc base to anchor. I have about 1/2 as many strands, so my super strands and strobe strands go to same hook head and pulley.

Tree%20base%20icy_zps0gqds7pk.png

• Like 2

Daniel, you say "only" 20' but it's still impressive. Love it!!!

Looks like you have white mold on your roof though. You might want to get that checked out. LOL :)

• Like 1

I find the Xenon "U" tubes are the best. I have not heard much of the xenon "I" tubes. I don' worry about sag. I have my strobe stringer attached to my hookhead, let them dangle down and then secure the stringer to the base ring where the plug hangs off for the connection. Dangling inside they are still seen, even with my RGB Tree, that uses the Boscoyo straps for the pixels. 

Mega Arch - I watched your Utube videos and I was wondering how you get your sound over the show.  I know I am not saying that right but maybe if I explain my situation first it might help make it clearer.  I live on a street with a lot of vehicle traffic and in the past when I have tried to record my show, I get a lot of background noise.  in fact, at times it completely drowns out the audio in the recording. I'm using a set of Pyle outdoor speakers and I get great sound but the camera speaker seems to pick up more car noise.  I have read a little about editing the video with a separate audio track.  Is that what you do?  If so, what software do you use?  Also do you use a video camera or a camera with a video option.  I've got a new Nikon Coolpix 9900 I was going to try out but if that isn't adequate, I can buy a video camera. 

You really have a great display.

28 minutes ago, zman said:

I find the Xenon "U" tubes are the best. I have not heard much of the xenon "I" tubes. I don' worry about sag. I have my strobe stringer attached to my hookhead, let them dangle down and then secure the stringer to the base ring where the plug hangs off for the connection. Dangling inside they are still seen, even with my RGB Tree, that uses the Boscoyo straps for the pixels. 

Okay, maybe I need to rethink the I tube.  I thought i had read somewhere about them being the best but I may have been mistaken.  Thanks for the input.

8 minutes ago, Dglass4321 said:

Mega Arch - I watched your Utube videos and I was wondering how you get your sound over the show.  I know I am not saying that right but maybe if I explain my situation first it might help make it clearer.  I live on a street with a lot of vehicle traffic and in the past when I have tried to record my show, I get a lot of background noise.  in fact, at times it completely drowns out the audio in the recording. I'm using a set of Pyle outdoor speakers and I get great sound but the camera speaker seems to pick up more car noise.  I have read a little about editing the video with a separate audio track.  Is that what you do?  If so, what software do you use?  Also do you use a video camera or a camera with a video option.  I've got a new Nikon Coolpix 9900 I was going to try out but if that isn't adequate, I can buy a video camera. 

You really have a great display.

After recording the video, we edit the sound to the actual mp3 recording. 

& thanks for the kind words. 

Edited by Mega Arch

Windows Movie Maker does a fine job if you don't already use editing software.  Pretty easy to learn and it's free.