Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie - First LOR - Mini Tree Question

CampbellHouse

Have had Christmas displays for a long time but finally trying to take up a notch with my first LOR controller. Want to add some mini trees (42" tomato cages) to my display and wondering what type and how many lights people have found work best. Will be buying LEDs - most of my lights are LED now so I'd like to stick with them. 

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

A lot of it depends on your preference.  Some like more some like less.  My mini trees are 36" and I only have 50 cool white leds on each.  I think it is plenty because they are bright.  Some like more to make the tree look fuller but at night you cant tell.

You can see videos on my youtube link in my signature.

25 minutes ago, CampbellHouse said:

Have had Christmas displays for a long time but finally trying to take up a notch with my first LOR controller. Want to add some mini trees (42" tomato cages) to my display and wondering what type and how many lights people have found work best. Will be buying LEDs - most of my lights are LED now so I'd like to stick with them. 

I've got the 42" trees too, I've got C6 LED's on mine, 4 channels each R,W,G,B 2 100ct strings for each color. I'm happy with them but I think the M6 would look good as well, here's a vid of mine in action. Welcome to the obsession!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CampbellHouse said:

This is my first year as well...I saw these on clearance on Christmaslightshow.com. For $1.10 each, I figured it'd be hard to go wrong.

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/christmas-mini-tree-wire-easels-36.html

It really depends on what you want to see for the density of lights.  I have 200 of each color on my 36" trees.   100 didn't look full enough for me.   I've seen people put 500 lights on each one.

Another consideration could be location.  My mini trees are front and center, about 10' from the street.  For that location 50 LED M5 was plenty bright enough.  I've upgraded my mini trees this year to dumb RGB nodes.  I used 50 per 32" tomato cage mini tree and they're as bright as I'd ever want considering where they go.

Thanks everyone for all the advise - I believe I know what I'm going to do. Would love to have multiple channels for each so I could have different colors or have RGBs but unfortunately I'm just getting started and only have 16 channels to work with and many other lights I want to incorporate into the controller as part of the display - so for this year my mini trees will just have to be a single color. Will try to upload video once I get it setup just so I can get some more advise how I can improve.

Wife was just shaking her head when orders arrived!! But I know she'll love it after it's done.

Yeah, the wife wasn't onboard with my new hobby at first.  However, when people start talking about it on facebook, and strangers walk up to you and tell you how much they enjoy, and look forward to the display.....she came around. She even gets involved, now, and complains when i don't spend enough time on it. When the police came to the door just to thanks us for doing it, she really surrendered to it, and has become my partner in a hobby for the first time in the 35 years I've have been with her. It may take a season or two....but yours will come around.