Light-O-Rama Forums

The Dog chewed my ..

ItsMeBobO

Bob

Come on now, that didn't work in grade school, and isn't going to now is it? You have to go live on time now, the dog eating my Christmas lights won't keep the show from going on. I'm still sequencing my new mega tree and i'm going live Thanksgiving night, Dog or no Dog LOL.

Nice try though, Keith

I  hate soldering to strips.  The wires are tiny weenie edie beedie.    This will most certainly take a few hours.   I have an extension cable to cut and use its ends. 

• Like 1

Unrequested response here........but will share that I found taking an old screw driver that was use for advertising purposes and grinding a small notch in the end made my life so much easier when trying to hold a small wire in place and soldering to the end of strips.   My fingers got nervous when the wire heated up and I was moving the wire before the solder cooled.  The little grove gave me just the right amount of control holding/ pinching the wire in place.

Steve

screw driver.JPG

Edited by steve synek

Me too B.Y.R.G.  That thing works great for holding things, but I still manage to "burn" my fingers from time to time using it. LOL

As for the dog chewing the strip, folks don't want to believe it, but animals DO CHEW WIRES, come on, haven't we all read here where someone has had that happen with wildlife, like rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, deer and possibly others?   Of course we have.

Shoot, I was checking out my extension cords the other day and have two kittens and 9 adult {fixed} cats in the house, the two kittens kept coming up and CHEWING on the extension cord wires I had made.    Fortunately they weren't plugged in at the time, just examining the wires making sure they are good to go for my displays this year. 

All my cats have this tendency and I have to watch them like a hawk at times so they don't electrocute themselves like that cat did in Christmas Vacation chewing on the light strand, remember that?  

Not that the cat would really look like that if they did electrify themselves, but still not a pretty sight and it could happen.

So if someone tells me their animal chewed something, owning animals myself {and btw: my cats LOVE to CHEW PAPERS TOO!}, I know what these little puff balls of fur can do.     As Ripley said, "Believe it or not!"

easy way to stop ALL ANIMALS from chewing your ext cords. Just may have to reapply if it rains much and washes them off..

Get a Big Huge Bottle of TABASCO, put on your rubber gloves and take a rag or a car wash MIT... dip it in the Tabasco and coat your wires... Works really well and fast if you are also making your own with a roll of SPT wire. I re-roll it onto another spool and coat it as my drill re-wraps it from one spool to the other..

• 3 weeks later...

Solder job complete.  I also broke a pin one of the dongles by twisting them a little too much so I had to solder two of them.   I had to cannibalize extensions I bought.  

• 1 month later...

Well...   I did finish the solder job on the two broken strips.   But  for the last two hours I have been wondering why the #$% two strips are showing the wrong colors.  After lots of sequence checking I realized the two strips with bad colors are the two I soldered.   This light guy is color blind.    On both repairs I flipped the green and blue wires.     So to fix I rewired the board putting the green wires into the spot labeled B.   Shhh dont tell anyone. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO
grammer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Well...   I did finish the solder job on the two broken strips.   But  for the last two hours I have been wondering why the #$% two strips are showing the wrong colors.  After lots of sequence checking I realized the two strips with bad colors are the two I soldered.   This light guy is color blind.    On both repairs I flipped the green and blue wires.     So to fix I rewired the board putting the green wires into the spot labeled B.   Shhh dont tell anyone. 

too funny. sucks when we do it to ourselves...

Bigger question now that you got it wired up correctly,

does she know you're planning on moving the kitchen table outside?