Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer file seems to be crashing Super Star

jamills706

I am adding things to my display this year, so, as you'd expect, I added things to my visualizer and also reassigned Networks to several Fixtures. I went through all the fixtures to make sure their Unit IDs and Networks were correct. As an FYI: I have almost all RGBs so I am using Unit IDs 01 (the only non-RGB thing...a LOR Controller Box with 16-AC outlets), and Unit IDs 02-34 for all of the RGBs. I run multiple networks to handle all of the RGB data: Regular, and Aux A through Aux F, for a total of 7-networks. The additional RGBs this year added 2 networks (E and F).

I already had the latest software, but I re-downloaded it and reinstalled it (in case somehow the SS executable became corrupted) from the LOR site...v4.3.14 on an HP Laptop which is running Windows10.

I opened up one of my last year's songs/sequences to change it to the new visualizer file. When I chose "Load Visualiztion" and chose my new visualization file SuperStar quit working/crashed! Now if I try to open SuperStar, it tries to load the last visualization and crashes!

So, I can't get in to SuperStar at all now because it crashes immediately upon opening!!!

What should I look for in that Visualization?

It would seems something must be wrong with the visualization. Am I hitting some limits I'm not aware of? What might I have done wrong in it? By the way, I tried saving it under a different name and loading that one, too.

How, you might ask, if it keeps crashing! I double-clicked on a different song which I had not yet altered to get it to open SS with the old settings.

How do I get past this???

Sorry superstar is crashing. You figured out a good way to launch superstar so it wouldn't use the most recent visualization. Another way to do it is to delete SSEdit.cfg which will be at:

c: / (your lightorama folder) / SuperStar / SSEdit.cfg

Then when you launch it will launch with the default settings and will not try to use the most recent visualization.

As for the crash, please email the visualization file to brian@superstarlights.com and I will take a look at it.

I received your visualization, thanks for sending it. I figured out where it was crashing, superstar should of course report an error instead of crashing, but it turns out that fixture "Spiral Tree #5" and "Spiral Tree #6" have "Force Row/Column" selected and are forcing column 55 and column 56 respectively. In addition, the Prop they are in is also specifying "Force Row/Column" and specifying column 46. When doing a "Force Row/Column" in a fixture, the column is relative to the column of the prop it is in. For instance, the fixture that is forcing column 55, the 55 gets added to the prop column of 46, so it is attempting to place the fixture at column 101 which is beyond the maximum of 64.

As I mentioned, superstar should of course report the error, but in this case it did not and it ended up crashing. I will fix superstar so that it will report the error in this case and not crash. But until the fix gets released, the work around is to disable the "Force Row/Column" settings in "Spiral Tree #5" and "Spiral Tree #6"

Thanks so much, Brian! I wasn't even aware I had any fixture Row/Column settings at all! I thought I had them only in the Props - glad you uncovered this though!

Thanks again!