Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween show time and days

Old Sarge

If you are having a Halloween show when do you plan on starting it. The middle of the month or just the last week etc...

I am thinking of maybe starting the mid month so people dont get burned out on it before Halloween actually gets here.

Mine will run from the 27th-31st. So 5 days total.  I've got to be home so if anything goes wrong I can fix it in real time.  Plus, I'm going to have a lot of props out that I will be setting out and bringing in each night.  I live in a cul de sac and as the only house I'll be blocking off the street with some orange cones so I don't get any cars that try to turn around and then hit children.  I've got some really good neighbors who are willing to put up with the shenanigans.  

With Halloween on Monday this year, I plan on switching to my Halloween lights (animation only) on Thursday or Friday before Halloween.  For Halloween night, I have music, but the lights are not synced to the music.  November 1st will be back to the year-round landscape lighting.

I have done various starts over the years.  Last year I really added lots of new stuff.  I chose to wait to the last week.  Then Halloween was cold and rainy.  Not many people at all. 

Previous year I started the 20th.  Previous was the 15th.  The later I started in October, the less people.  My first year I started early October and had lots of people.

This year I plan to start in a few days.  Everyone walking by has said they are glad to see me doing it again this year after taking last year off.  I was like, huh?  

So going forward I will be starting my shows early in October.

I like K6ccc idea..

I will probably start my show mid month static only using seq from previous years so no monster faces and then the weekend of Halloween and Halloween night add my music and monster faces to it.

Thinking about running the old seq with my radio transmitter only with no faces and then change the show to include my faces with low volume speakers outside and broadcast on my FM both over the weekend and for Halloween night... Maybe turn the out side sound up a little for the main night so if they want they can dance in the street as I have a lot of teens etc. where I just moved to.

I am still thinking of ideas.... Maybe very low volume outside speakers for the no face shows to... Haven't really decided but I dont want to bore the neighbors with it..

Any ideas is appreciated as where I lived before it was just one neighbor who could see my show as I was on a private road and very few had access to it.   Maybe a week with no faces and then the last week with...  or just the last weekend and Halloween night itself with faces..

Last two weeks of October for me, start date supposedly Oct. 17 and end at Midnight Tuesday Nov. 1{which some folks would still say Halloween on Monday night}.

I used to start on Oct. 1, but for the last 2 years been doing it the last 2 weeks of October.  Hasn't made very much difference in my viewers, so the last 2 weeks work out perfectly for me.

I will run my show mid-month - October 16 - 31.  Then I will just leave the RGB lights on the house until the Christmas Show.  If we get bad weather at the end of December, neighbors might just see the house decorated for Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day!!

My halloween display is basically my xmas display...few elements get changes outg.  So with the time/effort/cost to put together a display, I'm going to enjoy it the entire month of Oct...last night it when on. I will run it every night, 6-10 Sun-Thur and 6-11 on Fri-Sat.   A little boy up the street just can't wait for it to start. Was up on ladders last weekent, installing and heard him coming up the street, all excited.  He had to go get his mom and bring her to see me on the ladder.  While I enjoy the technoloy side of it, how others react to our display is why we really do it. So if only 10 cars show up throughout the first week, they probably had a smile on their face. Whenever the boy and mom up the street are in their car at night, they always stop for a song or 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just added my Home Made Axworthy flying ghosts.

I have 4 small ones going around my Grave Yard Display from the time my show starts to when it ends.. Not run by LOR but connected to a old car battery and using a Satern windshield wiper to make it move around and over my grave yard.

I havent decided yet but I may use a couple my monster singing faces with Christmas this year by just adding a red and white hat to them.

just the weekend before halloween and halloween night

this is what I've done to 1 of my wireframe singing christmas trees for halloween - sheet of coro and a few cable ties - mouth parts light up ok thru the coro (a little diffused), outline turned off of course.

a bit rough, my first attempt at cutting coro, but hey, who said ghosts had to look perfect :)

ghost1.jpg

Edited by OzAz

cool...  Before last year I thought of maybe covering mine with semi clear plastic sheet and see how that would work but last year i got the HC Monster faces instead so never checked it out or tried it.. Looks like a good idea for a ghost.

I am basically using 80 channels for Halloween.. 2  (8) channel archs to simulate lightening which I am putting up in tree above my grave yard display, 16 channels for 16 diff tomb stones, 16 for things like skulls, pumpkins etc. an saving 4 for flood/spot lights, red, blue, green and white and the other 2 controllers, 32 channels for my 4 monster faces.

I will run the show for the whole month of October on the weekends, Friday through-Sunday. But because of the weather so far, i Have been running it any day i can get dry weather, was able to run the last couple days, but as of now it will be shut down tell next week some time, we got a nice little 3 day storm coming in.

If you wait for a dry day here in Oregon then you will never have a show.

Rain, snow or shine the show must go on!

A passerby took this video of one song...

Edited by sax

Same here, show goes rain or not (not that we've gotten much rain in the past 5 years).

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I have sequences leading up to Halloween... But on Halloween night it changes to a haunted house.  Leading to Halloween is music.. On Halloween night it becomes a lot darker...

• The topic was locked