Light-O-Rama Forums

changing from rbg to rgb

sysco

Used a sans device 682 last year that had all 4 outputs of a channel in use.  They were setup in the controller as GRB as my strips were this.  Had the end pixels gondue to moisture.  Pulled and replaced the strip for quick fix.  The new strip was BRG.  So blue and green was reversed.  Since the sans command controls all 4 outputs on that channel I was not able to change it there.  I manually swapped G and B in the sequence editor. All 50 channels of the strip.  Exported the channels.  Imported into all my songs and viola....corrected.

Sans has a new firmware in beta that allows assignment for all 16 outputs now.  That is the quickest fix.  But I was able to correct by changing the channels in sequence editor.

Just tested for this year. All pixels were stated to be GRB and that is how they are set up in the 682 config. Test showed several window frames that should all be blue showed eratic color. Top,bottom and one side blue and the last side red or green. Or bottom, side and side.  Same strip just cut and soldered back at the 90 degree corners.  Work fine if all are turned white but with color change that are not the same color throughout. Any thought I would appreciate. 

Thanks

I had a similar problem on my string that crossed over universes  I was I pixel off in my prop check your channel layout compared to your E-682 layout 

Remember that the E682 does not have a single pixel cross universes.  That means that channels 511 & 512 are not used.  If your LOR configuration does use channels 511 & 512, you will be off by two channels after crossing the universe.  BTW, the version 5 SanDevices firmware (currently in beta) optionally changes that.

Was hoping that was not it, would have had to start sequences over from scratch and i have this years done (if i can get it to work in the correct color) 

Is swapping out the controller a possibility?  I'm using the falcon and can manipulate the colors for any pixel to any combination.

Not im my opinion. Have 2 682 running and have the same issue on both. Like i said, when i turn them all white the work fine. All pixel strips are new from wow. 

Thanks 

So in the sans http screen, have you tested the strips from there?  This will be a test that involves only the sans and the strips removing LOR setup.  From the http screen for sans, use test codes 1, 2 then 3.  The strips should all match.

1 is red.  2 is green and 3 is blue.  If this does not work then you have a solder issue. 

If this works, the next thing I would look at is network settings.  You said you had 2. Make sure your universes are setup proper.  Also, everyone is assuming that each 682 has its own IP address.  Make sure those networks are setup proper.

Next I would look at channel settings of the strips in the sequence.  Correct universes for each strip?  Channels go 1-### in order?  Where ### is your max number of pixels (150 for 50 pixel strip)

If you find a channel or universe off it is not the end of the world.  Export import will save you.  First, create a backup copy of your sequence.  Then, to correct, insert a new device below the incorrect strip.  Make sure you chose DMX, correct universe, correct number of channels.  Be sure to name it.  LOR sw will insert all the channels, named for you.  Then, copy the entire above row making sure to get all the pixels and paste in the newly created device.  Make sure it all came over correct.  Then delete the bad row.  Now, export this new channel template.  As long as the channels are in the correct order you will then be able to import this new template into your existing sequences and the correction is automatic.  Import channels changes the channel data and not the sequence data.  But if you had 100 channels before then your new channels first 100 channels will be using those old 100 lines of sequence data.

Hope that makes sense.  But export / import is a powerful tool. I can change universe and channel numbers of my existing sequences quick and easy using this method. And I was able to quickly change my blue / green error on over 25 sequences in less than 30 mins.  Correct one sequence...export channel template...import template to each sequence.

Always make sure to have all your sequences backed up.  On multiple drives or devices because your main PC could get infected...hard drive crash or any other horrible event to cause you loss of sequences.  I use a USB stick, and then burn to DVD.  Backups on PC both drives and a nas.

sax

Thanks for the detailed information Sax.  I will do some testing on the individual strips again. I tested them with the test pattern when I mounted them all to the frames but only used 4 that showed red and that the chase ran around them. 

Thanks again 

On 9/30/2016 at 0:44 AM, sax said:

Used a sans device 682 last year that had all 4 outputs of a channel in use.  They were setup in the controller as GRB as my strips were this.  Had the end pixels gondue to moisture.  Pulled and replaced the strip for quick fix.  The new strip was BRG.  So blue and green was reversed.  Since the sans command controls all 4 outputs on that channel I was not able to change it there.  I manually swapped G and B in the sequence editor. All 50 channels of the strip.  Exported the channels.  Imported into all my songs and viola....corrected.

Sans has a new firmware in beta that allows assignment for all 16 outputs now.  That is the quickest fix.  But I was able to correct by changing the channels in sequence editor.

How did you manually swap the G and B in the sequence editor?

For each rgb channel it is actually 3 channels.  Expand it and you will see red, green, blue.  For each bad pixel I had....I had one strip of 50...I had to drag the green to where blue was and put blue where green was.  Then I named that strip lower roof blue and green swapped.  Then exported the channel template.  Imported into all sequences and they were swapped.

Remember, when doing this I am not changing the sequence data only the channel data.  So in theory, what was once programmed to be blue on is now green on.  On my setup it worked perfect.

But you first need to make sure you have a problem same as me.  I had a complete strip changed.  Strips come in various formats.  I would love it every strip had the same format....red,green and blue.  Life would be simple.  But my original strip was green,red and blue.  My newly purchased strip was blue, red and green.  So that is why I had to change it.  Easiest is in the sans.  You select how your strip is setup in that settings page.  But it sets for 4 outputs....1-1, 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4 share that color order.  Since my other 3 outputs needed to stay GRB I had to make the change in software.

If you are cutting and using the same strip then you will not need to do this.  Only if seperate strips with different color order should cause this issue.

So, with your strips up, I would test by using the sans test codes.  If you are not getting matching strip colors then there is something else going on.  I would then make sure my input and output flow is correct....signal follows the arrow on the strip.  Check power even though white is working.  Make sure my solder connections for data are good.  

When my data line loses power...or signal...my strips do weird things.  The actual power is coming down the other 2 wires.  But the command chip freaks due to low power.  I get strange results.  I have seen this when I try to extend my cable too far.  Unpredictable colors are seen on my strip...flashing etc.  So I think it would be similar if that data cable is not soldered good.  If the power connection was bad...you would just not see anything.  So doubt it is that.  Ground, I would think it would also cause no output.  So my focus would be on that data line....

If the strips work proper with test codes but not in sequence....then I would make sure the addresses are correct on sans and in LOR networks tab.  If you have 2 sans with same ip and run a sequence...weird things will happen.  If that is correct then I would make a fast animation sequence with just red, blue and green coming on and staying on in long spurts on newly created channels.  This will rule out an error in channel layout.

Hopefully that helps you trace it down.....

I ran a test for both of the 3 units being used for now till christmas. Came up with both units having issues with color. Red on unit 2 worked perfect, next should be green and most showed blue, same when i ran the blue it showed mostly green.  Unit 1 had very similar results with red being ok but some windows showed blue when should have been green and vice versa.  Should i just try changing the GRB in the san first to see what changes? I may fix most there?