Light-O-Rama Forums

Rows and Columns Again

dougd

Did some reading and never could get the answer I was looking for. Been sequencing my whole display with SS this year and it has worked out quite well. I had my grid set up pretty well but there were times I couldn't quite do what I wanted to do. This morning I had the idea of 1 long grid. My current grid has 2 rows of props.

Here is what I tried, my first prop is a 16x50 mega tree I set it to row 1, column 1. 2nd prop is another 16x50 mega tree. I set it to row 1, column 18. After that I have a bunch of props that I was going to continue numbering row 1, column 33, 35, 37 and so on.Everything was looking good until I hit column 65. SS wont display on the grid anything above column 65.

I am importing in the visualizer as vertical.

I was hoping to lay out all my props left to right and go past 65 columns but have been unable to do that. 

Is there a better way to approach this?

Correct.  SuperStar is limited to 64 columns.  I have mine as horizontal so in my case it appears as 64 rows, and 100 columns wide (specified as up to 64 columns in the SuperStar commands in visualizer).

You are also limited to 64K channels where each box on the grid is four channels (RGB & W).

The first prop is my pixel three which is specified at location R1C1.  Since I am arranged horizontal, that is 50 pixels wide, and currently 12 pixels high (with space allocated for 16 rows for next year).  The pixel star is above that with the fixture specified as R1C17, and the fixtures (each concentric star is a fixture) each specified a one column higher and 5 rows higher.  Next up is 50 pixels of a perimeter string specified at R1C25, and above that is two rows of 94 pixels for some strips in a planter, and they are R1C27 and R1C28  Above that is all 220 pixels on my eves which are one prop and 10 fixtures, then six CCP arches R1C36.  Then there is a big gap to R1C64 which has a bunch of little things that are generally only a few pixels or channels.  I spent quite a while laying it out early this year with a lot of room for the future.  That did mean that I had to re-arrange my older sequences to fit the new arrangement (which thankfully, I'm done with).  Every singe prop has a specified location, and in most cases the fixtures within the prop have specified locations.  If you want to take a look at the .lee files (the row and real versions are quite different), send me an E-Mail address and I'll send them to you.

• Like 1

The row and real version .Lee files were sent, along with a short sequence. I would suggest opening Visualizer and SuperStar at the same time so you can see how the settings in Visualizer affect the grid in SuperStar.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Took a look at those files and it still doesn't take me where I would like to go. Here is a lee file with 5 16x50 mega trees. Is there a way to make it come in all in one row? It is like the trees need to rotate directions for this to work.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApgRhyoQKfS8hK1YWgDdqJ6RpHEGgA

Brian, maybe you can chime in here. Is there any way to import the .lee file in the above post all in either 1 straight row, horizontally or vertically? The idea is to do one morph across the whole display. I will email you the .lee file also. Thanks.

Yes, I have looked at Xlights. I prefer SS. Fits how I sequence much better. Still not sure there is a limitation. Just hopefully I am missing something.

I guess if I was you I would make a phone call and see if you can get a straight answer. I think you'd be better off then asking the question on the Forum.

19 hours ago, dougd said:

Took a look at those files and it still doesn't take me where I would like to go. Here is a lee file with 5 16x50 mega trees. Is there a way to make it come in all in one row? It is like the trees need to rotate directions for this to work.

I'm confused about what you want.  Are you saying you want all five trees to be a single line in the grid - in other words, a single line of 4,000 pixels?

Or do you mean each tree is a single line of 800 pixels in the grid?

Or am I completely missing what you want to do?

I am trying to create a "grid" that is one "level". Currently to get all my props in the grid. I have 2 rows of props. In SS words I have more that 64 columns of props. I was just thinking it would be nice to have one "level"  on my grid. I will email you my current visualizer to take a look at.

OK, I think I've got it.  You want 16 vertical columns of 50 pixels for the first tree, then a blank space, then another 16 columns of 50 pixels, etc.  That was sort of what I was getting to by looking at the visualization you posted yesterday.  That should not be all that hard to do.  I'll poke at it...

Sequencing in the grid is much easier to me than sequencing in the visualizer/preview. I do some stuff in the visualizer but try to do a majority of sequencing in the grid.

2 hours ago, dougd said:

Sequencing in the grid is much easier to me than sequencing in the visualizer/preview. I do some stuff in the visualizer but try to do a majority of sequencing in the grid.

Absolutely, the grid is almost always the way to go.  Once in a while I will use VisEffects, but not that often.

BTW, I have your five trees visualization functional, but making it pretty...

I received your visualization and emailed one back to you.

Because of superstar's limitation of 64 columns the solution is to import the visualization "horizontal" and then you can lay the trees end to end because the row limit is 360, so there is room to lay them end to end. You have to get used to the grid of each tree being horizontal but it will work.