Light-O-Rama Forums

lor network

Wayne K

Ok I am diving into the rgb stuff and have a question about the networks. I ordered the high speed usb red adapter. I have a pixcon 16 board and a couple of cmb24 boards. I also have about 18 lor controllers. Is there a network guide any where? I am guessing that the normal lor controllers can stay on the old adapter and the new boards go on the high speed adapter. How do I select the high speed adapters for the new boards? Does the aux setting become the new adapter?

Thanks

Wayne

13 hours ago, Wayne K said:

Ok I am diving into the rgb stuff and have a question about the networks. I ordered the high speed usb red adapter. I have a pixcon 16 board and a couple of cmb24 boards. I also have about 18 lor controllers. Is there a network guide any where? I am guessing that the normal lor controllers can stay on the old adapter and the new boards go on the high speed adapter. How do I select the high speed adapters for the new boards? Does the aux setting become the new adapter?

Thanks

Wayne

Withe the Pixicon it will be on an e1.31 network,The cmb boards will be on the new network with the high speed adapter,I would also set it to enhanced to utilize the high speed adapter.

SPaschall

Let's not make it more complicated than it needs to be. While the Pixcon 16 can be used on a E1.31 LAN Network, it can also be run on LOR Networks. Note that it must be either a 500K or 1000k network, and it must run in enhanced mode.

I'm assuming that Wayne was intending on running it on a LOR network. The CMB24s can run at 500k speed and on an enhanced network, but not at 1000k speed. If I were in his shoes, I would put the Pixcon and the CMB24s onto a new AuxA network running at 500k and enhanced mode. Leave the older controllers on the Regular network that have been in the past.

If Wayne wants to get into E1.31, he can, but does not need to.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

If Wayne wants to get into E1.31, he can, but does not need to.

Agreed but depending on what he's pushing for a show, he may just want to be cautious about putting too much on one network at 500k and experiencing lag.  Probably not, but should just be aware of it

A single 500K enhanced network can handle quite a lot.  The general rule of thumb that was commonly used a few years ago was six CCRs on a 115K non-enhanced network.  Going to 500K speed is roughly four times that and enhanced networking adds more.  If I remember right, LOR was running 2400 pixels (7200 channels) on a single network at Christmas Expo this year without any trouble.  So yes, it would be possible with a single Pixcon and a couple CMB24s to exceed the capacity of a 500K enhanced network, but you would have to work at it.

Keeping in mind that I've been running E1.31 for four years, so if it were me, I would almost certainly run a Pixcon via E1.31, but the original poster Wayne does not have that history.

Absolutely agree and the "myth" around the difficulties around running e1.31 are unfounded. I figured it out in about 10 minutes as long as you understand basic TCP/IP principles and basic routing. Lots of great videos as well out there to walk people through the process if others are unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Brucey said:

Absolutely agree and the "myth" around the difficulties around running e1.31 are unfounded. I figured it out in about 10 minutes as long as you understand basic TCP/IP principles and basic routing. Lots of great videos as well out there to walk people through the process if others are unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. This is my first year using E1 31 and so far it has been much easier than most make it out to be. During all of my testing everything has worked as expected.

Thanks for the info guys.

I have been testing on the lor enhanced network setup using a standard usb adapter. But with all of the reading I have been doing, it sounded like I needed the high speed adapter for the pixcon board. So what my thought was to put the pixcon and the cmb24 board on the high speed adapter and leave all of my controllers on the old usb adapter. If this is not a good way to do it please advise. So if I use this scenario how do I assign the high speed adapter to the pixcon and cmb?

Thanks

Wayne

6 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

So if I use this scenario how do I assign the high speed adapter to the pixcon and cmb?

When you go into the Network Setup in SE, you'll set the COM port for that network as well as the speed to 500K and enable enhanced mode.  Restart SE and then when you program your sequences,  just make sure you use that network for the pixcon and cmb's.

When you run Visualizer, be sure to remember to start Control Panel or it won't display properly.

Running Pixcon16 with 1,600 pixels on one port (at 500K) and (6) LOR AC controllers with (3) CMB24's on other port. Using a director running off SD card and all controllers are Gen3.

No issues.

17 hours ago, Brucey said:

Absolutely agree and the "myth" around the difficulties around running e1.31 are unfounded.

While I agree completely that E1.31 is not that difficult - but I'm a networking semi-expert, so my opinion is biased - my point was that going E1.31 was NOT required to run a PixCon controller.  E1.31 is an option however.