Light-O-Rama Forums

Interactive play button on guests phones.

ItsMeBobO

Hook your phone, and your guests phones, up to your display and control it.    See in real time what is playing right now and allow your guests to select a song.    

It's time to sign up for MIIP to make your show high tech interactive.    Last year there were over 15 thousand 'button presses' to play a song made using MIIP.

For this app you must email me to create an account.  My email is in my LOR profile.     Each display is assigned a four letter code.  If you want a particular code please say so in your email.

Below is a video for changes for the sixth season.   Other videos on vimeo.   Introduction video.

No hardware.  This is a software solution.   You don't even need to have a your own smart phone.   But your guests outside need a smart phone with an internet browser to see the playlist and select a song. 

I host your miip website on my host server.   Your show computer needs to be connected to the internet.     LOR advanced or Pro is required because MIIP uses the windows shell command. 

My third year with MIIP. Gets better every year. All set up ready to go.

Makes a good testing tool during set up too.

A BIG thanks to Bob for all his time and effort.

Is it like a jukebox where songs get queued?  What happens if someone selects Song A, which is now halfway through, and someone pulls up behind them and requests Song C.  Does Song C start when Song A is done?

Once a song starts playing, it will play to the end.   While a song is playing,  guests can 'vote' to hear a song next or later.  All the votes are tallied on the server and presented on the web page as they occur for others to see.   MIIP can control how often guests are allowed to vote and how song votes are accepted for a song which has recently played.    Just a few seconds before a song finishes, the show computer will 'poll' the miip server asking for which song to play next.  The server response is the song which has the most votes.  Ties are broken by which song played the longest ago.   If there are no votes the song played longest ago is played next.    MIIP keeps track of every vote and every song play.   You can run a report on any time window to see.  This report example is for all of December. 

miipsongstats.jpg

I may have do this next year - I've seen you post about it and am definitely intrigued.  Last year was our first time having a show and we averaged 30-40 cars an hour stopping to watch our light show.  This year I plan on doing traffic counts again now that the word is out that we have a light show (last year just a couple days before Christmas we got listed on a couple local blogs as a place to take kids to see dancing lights).  

We're expecting more traffic this year.  If it is significantly more, I may do a website for next year and include MIIP as an option, too!

Great Jaynee.   Just send me an email to enroll when you are ready or even if you just want to run a test.     MIIP is completely customizable to include any messages and links you want along with the currently playing song.

• Like 1

Bob.. Have you ever thought of having MIIP added to Xlights(I know it would take abit of coding on their part to add the command window functions)? Alot of us would like to use MIIP with something other than LOR software. 

Yes Daryl I have worked on this in the past.   I am not an xLights user myself so I need a partner who wants to verify its working and would report issues.

MIIP would overwrite the play file with each song.  Someone sent me an example of it 2 years ago and I created the file but zero testing was done.   There is already a place in MIIP administration to designate a user as LOR or xLights.  

The problem was xlights wont update the "show" unless the scheduler was restarted. There would have to be changes to xlights for MIIP to work.

Thanks Doug for reminding us of a project blocker.  I sort of remember another blocker of needing an identifier of some kind as well. 

it's funny, xlights was originally mostly a show scheduler, now that's the weakest part of the program. From what I gather, the developers aren't that interested in updating the scheduler as they believe most xlights users are using a Pi with FPP to run their shows.

• 4 weeks later...

Bob. Thank you for my code. Is there an older version that uses msnet 3.0 ? Im still on an XP box for the show, or a director. (Which I relize that will not run with this), Just bought a mass of stuff and cant really afford to convert the show box to windose 10.

I'm NOT really a fan of having to pay a monthly fee to use Windows 10 I'd move to mac or redhat if MS does (and prob will) move to the 7 buck a month charge.....

Edited by a31ford
Gramar