Light-O-Rama Forums

Damage free mounting and space-saving prop design

Ebuechner

I thought I would share a link to photos of some ideas that I've come up with over the years. Not all of these are new ideas but I thought I would share in case it helps anyone. Photos include a collapsible spiral tree Mounting frames around a window mounting a star on vinyl siding a foldable platform for putting things on the roof and a Hook head trolley for building a mega tree.  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwDgEpqsgNhfVzhyVVJ1YnBRODA.  I can add more photos later if anyone needs them for ideas

• Like 1

I'm contemplating trying to figure out how to do a small collapsible spiral tree (since I'm running out of storage for my Xmas stuff at this point).  Do you happen to have any instructions on how you built it?

6 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

I'm contemplating trying to figure out how to do a small collapsible spiral tree (since I'm running out of storage for my Xmas stuff at this point).  Do you happen to have any instructions on how you built it?

What size of spiral tree are you looking to get?

I have bought a couple of these to put pixels on. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-6-ft-Pre-Lit-LED-Blue-Twinkling-Tree-Sculpture-with-Star-7407036HO/204072416&ved=0ahUKEwik5ZHevY_PAhXHbB4KHeFDCCkQFggzMAE&usg=AFQjCNHNeprcew_A3nHJGEzZ2gST0D4nzQ&sig2=Q3k-QLVDDBYzD_K8As7DGw      but they would also make a fantastic collapsible spiral tree if you used 50 count strings and looped them up and down    that's why I asked what size you were looking for         

I was hoping to go with 8 feet.  But that might work for this year, and then I can reuse it next year but then have the year to build a "real" one that can be dismantled (or find someone willing to do it for me).

1 hour ago, Jaynee said:

I was hoping to go with 8 feet.  But that might work for this year, and then I can reuse it next year but then have the year to build a "real" one that can be dismantled (or find someone willing to do it for me).

I really don't have any instructions on how I built mine the pictures can give you an idea and it's very similar to what Home Depot has. I had to play with the height on mine to get about one and a half spirals with the 70 count string that I was using. Mine was built using the coted steel cable for clothes lines vertically connected to a 10 foot by three-quarter inch PVC electrical conduit wrapped in a circle at the bottom. The clothesline was attached to a round piece of wood at the top that also has hooks on it for the lights. I use a piece of conduit for the center Pole and at the base I have two pieces of metal in a cross to hold the hoop. I made a couple additional Hoops to help keep the shape as you can see in the picture, then I attach the lights with a lot of the small wire ties at every point that intersected. The hard part about building any spiral tree is rapping the lights without squeezing the tree. With all that being said the Home Depot tree isn't such a bad deal. I picked up several of them at the end of the year last year when they were on sale

Yeah, considering I'd probably pay $100 for materials just to build the frame ANYway, it does make sense to get the tree you linked to (although HD showed it a bit cheaper ($99) when I went to their site and did another search to see if they had an 8 foot version).  

If you find an 8 foot version let me know. At the end of the season I bought 4 of the 6-foot version for about $40 apiece. I'm very pleased with their Construction and they fold up very nicely back into the box they came in

• Like 1

On the PVC "spinners" 4 long legs, 4 shorter legs. I couldn't tell what you were using as the center piece. Can you give me a bit more information on it or a detailed picture. Thanks.

42 minutes ago, dougd said:

On the PVC "spinners" 4 long legs, 4 shorter legs. I couldn't tell what you were using as the center piece. Can you give me a bit more information on it or a detailed picture. Thanks.

I added some photos for you. It's an electrical box that I found at the hardware store I used my table saw to cut it down because it was very deep then I drilled 4 extra holes to glue the extra legs Inn. I silicone the lights on and topped it off with a ping pong ball cut in half to cover where the wires go into the center of the box. Everything is powered from the center and I only have to bring data lines in from the end of the strip. They're laid out with the data starting from the middle going out

• Like 1

I should add that they don't make a drill bit the exact size for three-quarter inch PVC. I used a step bit in my drill press drilled it slightly undersized than widen the holes with a Dremel tool until the PVC pipe fit snug before I glued it

• Like 1

Very cool. I have tried to make PVC "spinners" in the past, never did like the way my centers turned out. This looks very good. I will look for some boxes like that. Thanks!

I just added some photos of strips that just snap in around my garage doors. It's just made from J channel that I trim back and use the cheap siding tool to put in the catch points to lock it in