Light-O-Rama Forums

Ribbon Mega Trees

jmraider

HI

I am building a mega tree with CCR II ribbons. I just purchased the Pixie CCRII tree kit from LOR.  What is the best way to hang those CCR II on a 15" mega tree, I am locating the controller box on the pole at the base of the tree.  I thought about putting the CCR ribbons on 3/16 insulated cable.  What other ideas does anyone have?

Thanks

Jim

The ribbons are pretty fragile.  They need to be affixed to something more than cable in my experience.  My tree with strip/ribbon is flat and constructed out of a frame of 1/2" EMT.   The ribbon is ziptied every foot or so.  Glad to see someone else in the area.  Only 40 miles or so away from you.  Not many displays around here...

Here is the link to pictures of my set up using: Super Strut and accompanying hardware,  ceiling hanger wire, nylon rope, pixel strip anchors, 1.5"x3/4" wood strips, LOTs of zip ties, various screw and washers, stainless steel clamp sets, zinc plated rope clips, cable staples. All the hardware were purchased at Home Depot, pixel strip anchors at Holiday Coro, and zip ties at Mono Price

https://goo.gl/photos/5WCF4NMoeixB9q2HA

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:31 AM, BMurray said:

Here is the link to pictures of my set up using: Super Strut and accompanying hardware,  ceiling hanger wire, nylon rope, pixel strip anchors, 1.5"x3/4" wood strips, LOTs of zip ties, various screw and washers, stainless steel clamp sets, zinc plated rope clips, cable staples. All the hardware were purchased at Home Depot, pixel strip anchors at Holiday Coro, and zip ties at Mono Price

https://goo.gl/photos/5WCF4NMoeixB9q2HA

Nice setup on the tree.  Might be good to start a thread on that.  Sure many people are trying to figure out how to build one and would find it helpful.  Lots of pictures to help.  Great work documenting the build.  I never think to document what I do

• Like 1

You might want to use something other than rope or cable to attach the ribbons to.  Although they can work (many do with sucess) the more you flex the ribbon the higher probability of failure. Something flat is likely to be a better choice.  Be careful when zip tying the strips and ONLY at the cut marks and NOT to tight. I suggest white electrical tape or white waterproof tape (Duct tape), this holds without to much stress. (may be an issue in VERY cold climates).  Also remember the strips are 16 1/2 feel long (5 meters).