Light-O-Rama Forums

How to program sequences with RGB and basic LOR channels

christmascrossing

I have added RGB displays this year (matrix, mega tree ), which the Pixel Editor is great at programming.

Most of my other displays use standard LOR channels.

I started my new sequence in Sequence Editor, then went to the Pixel Editor to add the RGB props.

For instance, I have added the shimmer effect from the Sequence Editor, but when I go to the Pixel Editor, it cannot directly edit that.

If I want to edit my regular sequences, it seems I must import my changes from Pixel Editor back to Sequence Editor.

How do others program regular channels with RGB? Do you go back and forth between Sequence Editor and Pixel Editor? Or do you just stick with one tool?

Is LOR planning on merging these two tools (sequence editor and pixel editor) into one seamless tool??

15 hours ago, christmascrossing said:

I have added RGB displays this year (matrix, mega tree ), which the Pixel Editor is great at programming.

Most of my other displays use standard LOR channels.

I started my new sequence in Sequence Editor, then went to the Pixel Editor to add the RGB props.

For instance, I have added the shimmer effect from the Sequence Editor, but when I go to the Pixel Editor, it cannot directly edit that.

If I want to edit my regular sequences, it seems I must import my changes from Pixel Editor back to Sequence Editor.

How do others program regular channels with RGB? Do you go back and forth between Sequence Editor and Pixel Editor? Or do you just stick with one tool?

Is LOR planning on merging these two tools (sequence editor and pixel editor) into one seamless tool??

What I normally do is,I get all of my sequencing done in SE then move it to PE for my RGB programming. Every once in a while I will just go back and forth for small changes.I just imported my visualizer file into PE so I can see how everything looks together.As for merging,LOR introduced S5 in it's alpha stage at Christmas Expo, both SE and PE are in the same grid along with the visualizer and looks very promising.

SPaschall

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SPaschall said:

What I normally do is,I get all of my sequencing done in SE then move it to PE for my RGB programming. Every once in a while I will just go back and forth for small changes.I just imported my visualizer file into PE so I can see how everything looks together.As for merging,LOR introduced S5 in it's alpha stage at Christmas Expo, both SE and PE are in the same grid along with the visualizer and looks very promising.

SPaschall

Excited to hear that S5 may merge SE and PE...that would be terrific!!

• Like 2

Prior to S4, I did most of my display in SuperStar.  I had six dummy channels for the star and had to "convert" those to the 360 actual channels in SE because of the fixture limit in S3.  With S4 I was able to redo the Visualization to have the entire show, so I did everything in SuperStar.  That then changed late in 2015 when I realized that I really needed to use intensity files to keep from choking my old slow show computer.  Since I had two old controllers, those channels had to come back out of the visualization, and were added back into the show in SE.  This year I replaced the old controllers so now I'm back to sequencing everything in SuperStar, which will output as intensity files.  I will have one channel in SE (because you can't have none), that will control fans that keeps my column lights from overheating.  I also will have a background sequence that has a single channel that runs during the evening that controls the relay that powers the yard speakers.

I played with PE during the beta in 2015, but never could figure it out, so I don't use it at all.

S5 will merge SS. Pe ,and SE  but not till early 2017 according  to Matt Brown at Christmas Expo.

Edited by Dennis Laff
  • Like 1

Sounds like I'll be upgrading to S5 next year.   Until then I'll just bounce between sequence editor and pixel editor. 

• Like 1

Hello,

Alot of my display is now pixels (house out line and wreaths on the house). I have older AC controllers (not Gen 3). I have been scared to try PE because my older controllers won't do intensity files. If I sequence in SE then go to PE After I get done in PE does that change the entire file to an intensity file that my older controllers will not recognize? Will that work or not, with Gen 1 & 2 controllers? Or am I way wrong? I too would like to go back and forth, but...

Thanks!

If you sequence your old controllers in SE and then your pixel controller in the pixel editor the intensity file only converts what was sequenced in the pixel editor to intensity files

Here is a rough explanation on intensity data files. Your SE peogramming stays the same if you program in SS or PE then once you finish then you create an intensity data file that will attach to the .lms file as a hidden track. You can program in PE like you would in SE if you have gen3 controllers and set them up on an enhanced network at this time. Hopefully when S5 comes out next year a lot of this will be old news since both programs will be merged together in one program and one grid.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

I have CCRs, CCPs, and CCBs.  In past years, I have run these devices on the standard LOR network, and programmed via the sequence editor. (But not using Pixel Editor).

This year, If I create props / sequences in Pixel Editor for these devices, will I need to use the Enhanced LOR network?

My new props (a matrix and mega tree) will be on the E.131 network.

Also, if I need to put the CCRs, CCPs, and the CCBs on the enhanced network due to Pixel Editor, will my old sequences work (the ones I used to manually program the CCXs using the sequence editor)?   Will I have to do anything special?

Thanks!

Anything sequenced in PE must be on an enhanced network since PE only outputs intensity files. If you have songs previously sequenced in SE, they will play fine on an enhanced network.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

I have CCRs, CCPs, and CCBs.  In past years, I have run these devices on the standard LOR network, and programmed via the sequence editor. (But not using Pixel Editor).

This year, If I create props / sequences in Pixel Editor for these devices, will I need to use the Enhanced LOR network?

My new props (a matrix and mega tree) will be on the E.131 network.

Also, if I need to put the CCRs, CCPs, and the CCBs on the enhanced network due to Pixel Editor, will my old sequences work (the ones I used to manually program the CCXs using the sequence editor)?   Will I have to do anything special?

Thanks!

If you are running e1.31 you will be fine. The only tine you will need to swt up an enhanced network is if you program something in PE and plan to use standard LOR controllers to run the fixtures. If you prigram your rgb in pixel editor and add it to an existing sequence that you used in the past, it will still run just setup the e1.31 in the network preferences and you will be good to go.

SPaschall

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

The Pixel Editor can only control and create intensity data files for enhanced LOR (ELOR) and DMX (USB or E1.31) networks.

Your pre-gen3 controllers cannot be placed on an enhanced network.

If you are going to sequence the cosmic devices with the Pixel Editor, you will need 2 LOR networks and 2 USB dongles. Attach the old controllers to one dongle and the cosmic controllers to another. It would be best if the dongle for the enhanced network is a high-speed dongle (the red one) so you can run it at 500K baud rate.

Matt

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 11:47 AM, Dennis Laff said:

If you sequence your old controllers in SE and then your pixel controller in the pixel editor the intensity file only converts what was sequenced in the pixel editor to intensity files

Thank you! That is the info I needed. I have Gen 1 & 2 AC controllers and all the pixels are E1.31.  

Another question: E1.31 handles intensity files without any other setting or such?  Once I do as you state, I can import the entire visualizer of my display and see all of it play in PE? Even though over half my display is regular ac channels?

14 hours ago, wt1924 said:

Thank you! That is the info I needed. I have Gen 1 & 2 AC controllers and all the pixels are E1.31.  

Another question: E1.31 handles intensity files without any other setting or such?  Once I do as you state, I can import the entire visualizer of my display and see all of it play in PE? Even though over half my display is regular ac channels?

This may help

• Like 1