Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor tree ornaments

Brucey

I have a good size tree at the corner of my property and was thinking of putting some lighted Christmas balls or stars on it to spruce it up.  I've found basic ones online but was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas or have done something similar in their property?

Now that I've watched the video, interesting concept, but up here in the northeast, I would be worried that rain/snow would get in top-facing cups and ultimately rip the whole thing apart.  If I was down south, I'd be less concerned, but it's definitely given me some ideas...

2 minutes ago, Brucey said:

Now that I've watched the video, interesting concept, but up here in the northeast, I would be worried that rain/snow would get in top-facing cups and ultimately rip the whole thing apart.  If I was down south, I'd be less concerned, but it's definitely given me some ideas...

Cups with lids?  :D

I made (6) of these LED sparkleballs 3 years ago and all remain working to date. They do display a sweet effect. They are rather delicate so mount them fairly rigid so they don't bump into anything when the wind blows. The first year I saw several cups retained water so I drilled a small drain hole in the upper cups. Hope mine work this year!

So do you just rollup the lights into a 'ball' and put them in the ball?  Thinking a small string of lights in each one would give off brilliant colors?

Also, At Home has been carrying some 6" led lighted balls of assorted colors the last couple of years. My trees aren't all that big, so my Christmas balls aren't needed to be as big as others Christmas balls might need to be.

Can see them here:

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brucey said:

So do you just rollup the lights into a 'ball' and put them in the ball?  Thinking a small string of lights in each one would give off brilliant colors?

yep.... the 7" ones take 2 70 count strings, 11" i think took 5 70 counts.

43 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

When I read Mega Arch's post I knew this thread was going to take a turn  :blink:

When I created the thread, I was afraid it could go downhill....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Also, At Home has been carrying some 6" led lighted balls of assorted colors the last couple of years. My trees aren't all that big, so my Christmas balls aren't needed to be as big as others Christmas balls might need to be.

Can see them here:

There, back in line now. Wouldn't want to take thread to far downhill & get it cut....

It's a good topic that needs discussed now and then. 

22 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

There, back in line now. Wouldn't want to take thread to far downhill & get it cut....

It's a good topic that needs discussed now and then. 

Ok, I can't resist...those are some nice balls you got there........ I have 4 red balls on the porch that I wish could change colors and were brighter, and I would like to make some big balls for my maple out front.  

Yes - 6".  Yes - very visible, but the trees aren't very tall and my yard isn't very deep. Love them for what they are. Most were bought 3 years ago after Christmas sale at Hobby Lobby for $2 each. Was glad to see At Home carrying them to complete my set. I think I paid $10 each. 

These are kinda cool at 12", but I haven't used or seen them lit up. $7 and many colors  

https://www.athome.com/light-bulb-red-ornament/124151492.html#q=christmas+lights&start=86

8 minutes ago, Need more lights said:

Ok, I can't resist...those are some nice balls you got there........ I have 4 red balls on the porch that I wish could change colors and were brighter, and I would like to make some big balls for my maple out front.  

That's why I keep saying size matters. My previous residence had 42ft fully mature maples. Leaves didn't fall early enough & barely could tell they were there. Kinda hung from bottom branches. So cut those maples down when I found LOR and made my first mega tree. ??