Light-O-Rama Forums

Easy Light Linkers Questions

jem5136

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a dumb questions here, but I'm going to give it a shot. I haved used the Easy Light Linkers in the past to put lights on the street poles in the downtown area to rid of use of Cat5 (especially since in a few areas the Cat5 would be stretching across the street). This year, however, I plan on adding a lot of RGB to the show and I am using xLights to sequence the show, and I'm having some issues.

First off, xLights will not support almost 30 LOR controllers using the LOR protocol. An "easy" fix to this is to use the DMX protocol for the controllers. However, if I use DMX, will I still be able to use the Easy Light Linkers? 

My Second issue is, when I'm finished sequencing in xLights, I cannot get a decent conversion back to LOR (so I wouldn't even have to think about the DMX protocol). I've played around with it and I either get a sequence that's converted in "fast foward" or a sequence that is choppy and looses most of the effects.

Third, I have found a way to get around the lag in xLights and it is to set up each controller on it's own network, however that would require I have almost 30 LOR USB adapters (which I don't want to even think about) and I'd have to have 30 USB ports on my PC (which will never happen).

It seems the best thing to do now is to run the LOR boxes in DMX mode, but I'm not to sure the Easy Light Linkers will be able to transmit from one controller.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

The ELL's don't have the necessary throughput to properly execute RGB sequences, you need 500k for RGB sequences and the ELL's don't get anywhere near that.

I am dark this year but next may prove to be a challenge because I have the same kind of thing happening.  I too went to xlights because it is far better for the most part, but transferring back to LOR to run may prove to be an issue as you have found out, and I used a few ELLs myself.  They have always been good to me for the AC stuff... So my idea to fix it is to use Ubiquiti M5s and convert from e1.31 to DMX for running the LOR AC controllers.  I did a limited version of that last year and it works really well.  You may want to look at pixelsticks.  Just depends on distance and application.  Komby is another option. 

Let us know what you find out.

Craig

14 hours ago, Brucey said:

The ELL's don't have the necessary throughput to properly execute RGB sequences, you need 500k for RGB sequences and the ELL's don't get anywhere near that.

My PixCon controllers will not be controlled via E1.31, so they will not be on the LOR network.

I have 21 controllers (mostly AC and a few DC) that will need to be controlled with the ELLs, I have used them successfully in past years I'm just not sure if I can use the ELLs if the boards are running in DMX mode.